Sorting by date in file selection screen

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

matt_e

Sorting by date in file selection screen

Postby matt_e » Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:16 pm

When you sort the fileselect via date, the '..' and '.' identifiers are sorted by date too. I find it easiest when it's sorted by name and I can keep clicking the same location on screen (on the '..') to keep traversing up through higher directories. When it's sorted by date, the locations of the '.' and '..' keep changing in the listing of each directory depending on when they were last modified and it make it a lot harder to navigate around. Is it deliberately meant to be this way? Any comments from others that use this aspect?

Here's a screenshot to explain what I'm talking about.

sgefant

Postby sgefant » Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:06 am

Yeah, that's a bit odd...
However, as there already is the P button (jump to parent directory), I'm wondering if it would make sense to get rid of the "." and ".." entries in the file list.

sgefant

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:16 pm

Since "." and ".." are both directories, it makes completely sense to me.

ilac

Postby ilac » Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:32 am

sgefant wrote:Yeah, that's a bit odd...
However, as there already is the P button (jump to parent directory), I'm wondering if it would make sense to get rid of the "." and ".." entries in the file list.

sgefant

Sometimes you only want to go up one level (like when using a blend file as a library) and not go all the way up to parent directory so I think the dots should be left.

What would be useful is a way to save favourite directories which would show up under the drive letters when the '-' is pressed.

matt_e

Postby matt_e » Sun Apr 27, 2003 12:41 pm

ilac wrote:Sometimes you only want to go up one level (like when using a blend file as a library) and not go all the way up

That's what the P button does, as far as I can see...

EDIT:
Woops! Yes, you're right, the P doesn't move up the heirarchy when browsing .blend files. Perhaps it should be modified to do so?
Last edited by matt_e on Sun Apr 27, 2003 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sgefant

Postby sgefant » Sun Apr 27, 2003 2:02 pm

ilac wrote:Sometimes you only want to go up one level (like when using a blend file as a library) and not go all the way up to parent directory so I think the dots should be left.

You're right, when browsing libraries the P button's behaviour is different from the ".." entry's.

ilac wrote:What would be useful is a way to save favourite directories which would show up under the drive letters when the '-' is pressed.

You can add directories to the .Bfs file in your home directory (it's a text file).

sgefant

Return to “Interface & Tools”