Animatic Rendering

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

beatabix

Animatic Rendering

Postby beatabix » Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:53 pm

coming from a background of traditional 2D animation, this is a feature that i would very much like to add into blender:

when rendering an animation, you would check a little button labelled "animatic", and, in an edit box underneath, enter "OB:<object name>".
then, when you press "ANIM", blender would only render the frames for which the designated object has keyframes, not the interpolations. when the animation is played back, blender would only update the screen at the right time.

for example, the object has keyframes at 5, 15, and 27.
with animatic rendering, blender would render frames 1, 5, 15 and 27, then playback like this:

1,1,1,1,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,15,15,15,15,15,15 etc etc

does this make sense?

it would be really useful for testing the timing of character animation, and i think (not sure -> i'm not code savvy) it would be easy to implement. You would just need to check if the object had a keyframe on each frame of the render, then keep a record of the required play rate.

later
BEAT

aphex

Re: Animatic Rendering

Postby aphex » Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:20 pm

beatabix wrote:when you press "ANIM", blender would only render the frames for which the designated object has keyframes, not the interpolations. when the animation is played back, blender would only update the screen at the right time.

for example, the object has keyframes at 5, 15, and 27.
with animatic rendering, blender would render frames 1, 5, 15 and 27, then playback like this:

1,1,1,1,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,15,15,15,15,15,15 etc etc

does this make sense?

Yep, this is a technique that I use quite a lot (though not in blender yet! :wink: )

An alternative (and possibly easier) method to an 'animatic' button would be to have a new IPO interpolation mode called 'step'.

I've been considering this recently and now that I'm not the only one I'll put a little more effort into it! ;)

Cheers,

aphex

aphex

Postby aphex » Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:26 pm

Turns out Blender already has a 'step' mode for IPO's.

SHIFT-T on an IPO and choose 'constant'. That should help you out! :wink:

aphex

Hos

Postby Hos » Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:55 pm

aphex wrote:Turns out Blender already has a 'step' mode for IPO's.

SHIFT-T on an IPO and choose 'constant'. That should help you out! :wink:

aphex

As of 2.26, this is an option for the acton window too.
Please see the release notes for this and other
goodies:

http://download.blender.org/release/Ble ... se_226.txt

Chris

beatabix

Postby beatabix » Sat Apr 26, 2003 1:48 pm

yes, a step type IPO was something I also considered as a possible solution to this. However, this still requires the rendering of all frames in an animation, thus detracting a little from the whole point of an animatic. speed is the key issue in a function like this -> only rendering the frames with keys would be a huge optimisation.

if we could tie in some form of object flag to the render cue then we could optimise the previewing process.

for example ->

Code: Select all

for frames in render {
   if { (object has keyframe)
      render frame
   } else {
      use last rendered frame
   }
}

thanks for the shift+T tip though. i'll use that for the time being until i can get around to coding my ideas. (but why is it only available through an obscure hotkey? this is something we should try to phase out of blender -> hotkeys and buttons for all functions, UI consistency)

later
BEAT

aphex

Postby aphex » Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:47 pm

beatabix wrote:yes, a step type IPO was something I also considered as a possible solution to this. However, this still requires the rendering of all frames in an animation, thus detracting a little from the whole point of an animatic. speed is the key issue in a function like this -> only rendering the frames with keys would be a huge optimisation.

Hmm... I've never needed full-blown rendered animatics - just wireframes played back in real-time to get the timings correct.

As I understand it, you want to take this one step further - to create a movie file to play externally for use in synching sound, etc?

beatabix wrote:if we could tie in some form of object flag to the render cue then we could optimise the previewing process.

for example ->

Code: Select all

for frames in render {
   if { (object has keyframe)
      render frame
   } else {
      use last rendered frame
   }
}

Not sure how easy that would be to do. As long as you keep your polys low (turn down SubD levels, etc), and the final res low, you shouldn't find speed too much of a problem.

beatabix wrote:
thanks for the shift+T tip though. i'll use that for the time being until i can get around to coding my ideas. (but why is it only available through an obscure hotkey? this is something we should try to phase out of blender -> hotkeys and buttons for all functions, UI consistency)

Such is the way of Blender! :wink:

Solving interface issues is on my todo list... somewhere! :D heh

Cheers,

aphex

ilac

Postby ilac » Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:28 am

You can opengl render the viewport which:

1) is almost as fast as realtime
2) Gives you keyframes and interpolation
3) Saves the frames as images and therefore can be used in your video editor and replaced later on with the final renders

Press the "render this view" button in the viewport window toolbar for a single image or shift+press for the whole animation to be rendered.

you can render in wireframe, shaded etc.
:D

Please note that there is a bug in 2.24, 2.25, 2.26 where using this feature in solid mode gives you silhuettes! :(

edit: wrote shaded instead of solid by mistake! :P
Last edited by ilac on Sun Apr 27, 2003 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaktuswasser

Postby kaktuswasser » Sun Apr 27, 2003 4:12 pm

not in shaded.. only in solid mode. thats a difference

beatabix

Postby beatabix » Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:03 am

thanks for the info everyone.
kaktus -> you are mostly correct. i do want this feature for sound synchingand preproduction editing/presentation, but i also want it for rapid animation testing at final render quality. my "real" idea is to extend it into a sort of pencil test system.

my uni had these fantastic old amigas with some archaic pencil test system. you scanned your keyframes and put them into a kind of timeline/spreadsheet thing. then you could drag them up and down, adding or removing inbetweens, until you have the final timing, which you noted down and take away to draw the tweens.

my idea is to make a system that renders the keys for preview, with timing and everything, then you can visually edit this (rather than IPOs) to get the timing you want. simply shortening or lengthening the hold on a key to determine where the next key lies.

it may be a pointless feature, with the simplicity of editing IPOs, but so far i haven't seen a 3D app come close to the flow of that ancient amiga, so with blender opened up i'd like to try my hand at adding it.

later
BEAT

Return to “Animation”