Doxygen

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

cmccad

Doxygen

Postby cmccad » Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:58 am

Hello all,

Is there anyone out there who knows how doxygen is used on larger projects? I've been trying to grok doxygen for the last few days, and it seems to me that for a project the size of blender, referencing tag files seems to be the way to go.

I have gotten a monolithic doxygen html directory, which contains *every* c or c++ file in the bf-blender tree. This does not seem to be the way to go, but then, very few of the files have doxygen comments in them. If more of the files had comments, then maybe this monolithic generation would be better?

I'm not sure exactly how tag files work, but it seems to me as if they could be used to break things up into smaller sized bites. But I don't know how easy it would be to maintain several different configuration files in several different directories, or if this is even neccessary.

Any help is appreciated.
Casey

blackie

Re: Doxygen

Postby blackie » Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:20 pm

Hi cmccad,

well i tried to do the same thing as you maybe. but for me it seems to be relatively simple to generate the blender doxygen docs.
i created a doxyfile which said to recursively traverse the whole blender source tree and that was it !
i know have the whole blender api documentation as far as possible to extract it.

by the way, there are some doxygen comments, but not that many.

please let me know if it was that what you wanted or if i misunderstood your posting.

if anybody is interested i could post the Doxyfile.

blackie

cmccad

Postby cmccad » Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:56 pm

Hello blackie,

We both did the same thing :) . When doxygen creates the code documentation, it lumps everything under one group, which makes it *very* hard to understand the basic structure of blender. What I was wondering, is if there is a way to group the code file together into modules somehow in the documentation, parallel to the actual blender modules. Lately, I have been playing a bit with doxygen, and commenting some of the code. I'm thinking of making a page for each module, grouping the files on them according to function, and then linking all these pages to the main page.

However, I don't know if this will be workable/maintainable. Which is why I was asking if anyone has had much experience with documenting larger projects. I haven't had much luck with getting tags to external docs to work, but I think that this will become necessary if/when more of the blender modules start to go the way of GHOST and get broken off of the main blender project into their own projects.

When I ran doxygen recursively, with the option that includes undocumented code, the resulting html files were more than 10 megs. I didn't want to upload all that stuff (I only have 20 MB total :( ) but if you want to upload your doxygen run, I wouldn't mind, as long as you posted a link here :) .

later,
Casey

blackie

Postby blackie » Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:16 pm

hi cmccad,

ok i know what you mean, my source code doc is 127,5 MB !

i included the source scan for all the c files, so that you really have docs for all
functions and structures

blackie

Return to “Documentation & Education”