Blender fails to run. Probably graphics card related problem

Feedback to the Blender Foundation and the moderators of this website

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

schmeerlap

Blender fails to run. Probably graphics card related problem

Postby schmeerlap » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:18 pm

I am trying to run Blender 2.44 on my new computer, which has the following spec: Intel core2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.5Ghz, 4Gb DDR2 ram, Asus P5N-D motherboard, ATI Radeon HD 3800 series graphics card, Vista Home Premium 64bit operating system. Installed program successfully, but on running program immediately stops working. Windows message begins: "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program . . . ." The same Blender program worked OK on my last single core PC with XP 32bit operating system; it had a GeForce 6600 graphics card. I have the same problem with other 3d applications on this new computer and suspect I need to change my graphics card. Please advise me which graphics card will successfully run Blender on the Vista 64bit operating system.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Postby jesterKing » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:14 pm

I don't think this is a graphics card problem.

Try running the 32bit version of Blender 2.48a - There is a 64bit version of Blender 2.48, but it is not as feature complete as the 32bit version.

Please report back when you've tried the newer version(s).

/Nathan

schmeerlap

Postby schmeerlap » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:06 pm

Did what you suggested, Nathan. Uninstalled Blender 2.44 32bit, installed Blender 2.48a 32bit, also installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SPI application, and the latest Python 2.6 version. Same result; program stops working immediately it is loaded. I didn't want to go on too much about other 3d programs I am also having similar problems with, but for purposes of clarification I will now. World Machine 2.1 provides the most useful indication that it might be a graphics card problem. It runs but doesn't show the device workview, it whites out. On selecting 2d view it shows the default terrain, on 3d view it stays with the 2d view, and then on Explorer view the program stops working, and closes down. This suggests to me that there could be a problem with the graphics card. What makes you think it isn't, Nathan?

jesterKing
Site Admin

Postby jesterKing » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:59 pm

It being just a guess, it was based on the fact that lately most crashes were related somehow to how the executable was linked to Python library.

You may very well be right that it is a driver issue after all.

Things to try:
* upgrade to latest driver
* disable hardware acceleration
* disable any fancy stuff (menu effects, desktop effects, drop back to windows classical theme)

Maybe not using HW accel makes Blender start properly, since it would be using software OpenGL then.

On a different note, Blender 2.48(a) is linked against Python 2.5.2, so you'd have to install Python 2.5.2 too to get the best out of 3rd party modules.

/Nathan

schmeerlap

Postby schmeerlap » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:53 am

Thanks for that, Jester. I've already downloaded and installed the latest drivers for my graphics card, but that didn't make any difference. And I've changed my desktop to Windows classic theme; didn't think that would make any difference, and it didn't. I do beleive that your second point (disable hardware acceleration) is the more likely solution with this card. Esprit Vue began with a graphics card warning and advised me to implement compatibility mode which disabled hardware acceleration of OpenGL and used the software OpenGL instead. Whereby Vue did work OK, the only 3D application to work with this card so far. I think the Blender website does give notice that some cards only carry a subset of OpenGL. My next move is to take the GeForce card out of my old computer (I've got the latest Vista 64 drivers for it) and try it out on my new computer. Wish me luck, and thanks again for your help.
John

jesterKing
Site Admin

Postby jesterKing » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:26 pm

schmeerlap wrote: Wish me luck, and thanks again for your help.

Good luck :)

/Nathan

Return to “Foundation and Websites”