RenderMan...

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Curador3

RenderMan...

Postby Curador3 » Sun May 04, 2003 6:00 pm

Is 3delight and PRMan Open Source? I know Pixie and Aqsis are, but if 3delight and PRMan aren't, wouldn't they be unsuitable for the OPEN SOURCE BF Blender?

-Sam White
Email: YahooSpecials@aol.com

green

Re: RenderMan...

Postby green » Sun May 04, 2003 6:21 pm

Curador3 wrote:Is 3delight and PRMan Open Source? I know Pixie and Aqsis are, but if 3delight and PRMan aren't, wouldn't they be unsuitable for the OPEN SOURCE BF Blender?

-Sam White
Email: YahooSpecials@aol.com

prman and 3delight are not opensource.

no it would not be unsuitable.

LethalSideParting

Postby LethalSideParting » Wed May 07, 2003 10:52 am

Just to clarify the point here for you, Curador 3...

PRMan and 3Delight aren't opensource, but this doesn't really matter for Blender, because they're seperate programs. Blender doesn't need their source code to be able to use them, as it can easily ask them to render through the command line. All that Blender has to do is to convert the current scene in Blender into a file format that the renderer can understand (this is what Green's coding at the moment). This is possible even without the source code, as both renderers you mentioned follow the Renderman specification, which means that the file types it uses are open and documentation is freely available about them.

Therefore, since the renderer's source code isn't needed in Blender, this means that it doesn't matter whether they're opensource or not - Blender can still send them the info they need, and so licensing isn't a problem.

Is that clearer?

LethalSideParting

Curador3

Renderman

Postby Curador3 » Thu May 08, 2003 9:00 pm

Ahhhh,

I hear you now, since I haven't really studied Renderman, I wasn't clear on this... I thought.. 3delight was used to render the scene, then the scene is displayed in Blender in the same Render Screen, just using the algorithms of 3delight etc. but still needed a DLL or Plugin from 3delight, but since its completely not going to be related to Blender, its fine. And still Pixie is also going to be part of the renderman renderer in Blender, for anyone that needs it, Pixie is open source.

Thanks for that!

-Sam

LethalSideParting

Postby LethalSideParting » Fri May 09, 2003 12:55 pm

No problem mate. Anything to help a fellow Blenderhead. :)

I'm just not a great fan of one line answers, that's all :D

LethalSideParting

green

Postby green » Sat May 10, 2003 6:53 pm

Pixie has not yet been decided on.

The only renderers that is sure to be supported are 3delight and prman.

I did some tests with pixie too see what it could do, thats why it is in the renderer menu.

I dont currently have any plans on supporting it.

I myself dont care too much if there are any opensource renderman renderers supported or not. But if someone else does, they are more then welcome to implement support for them, it might be best to wait for the renderman support to get into the main blender version first though, since its still changing quite a bit now.

ideasman

Postby ideasman » Sun May 11, 2003 4:45 am

When I first heard about renderman I got the impression that any renderman renderer could render any RIB file.

Why does there need to be an exporter for each different renderman app, rather then a generic RIB exporter?

green

Postby green » Sun May 11, 2003 9:12 am

ideasman wrote:When I first heard about renderman I got the impression that any renderman renderer could render any RIB file.

Why does there need to be an exporter for each different renderman app, rather then a generic RIB exporter?

html is a standard too... and we all know how well that works :)

every renderer has its own quirks. some dont support everything in the standard, some implements its own non-standard tags, and they all have their own bugs to be worked around.

Return to “Rendering”