[rant] is it so hard to keep python consistency in blender ?

Scripting in Blender with Python, and working on the API

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

flure

[rant] is it so hard to keep python consistency in blender ?

Postby flure » Tue May 06, 2003 5:18 pm

i mean
since Blender has python embedded in it, i write scripts to export meshes or scenes to my own format, so that they can be used in my own rendering engine.
and almost for each new version, i expect improvements, animation export for example, and in return i get a totally new API, which is not only incompatible with the old one, so that i always have to rewrite my scripts, but also it doesn't keep its previous functionalities !!!

this is a true pity for blender

if only there was a way to acces to ALL the data of a particular scene, imagine how much blender would spread ! game companies would use it, because it would cost nothing with the same functionalities as 3DSMax and others ...

now i eagerly awaits for the XML blend export, but at this point i'm quite desillusioned ...

flure, who lost interest in python scripting
~flure()

Pablosbrain

From 2.27 on

Postby Pablosbrain » Tue May 06, 2003 6:57 pm

From 2.27 on it should probably get more and more consistent as well as more functionality and stability. The old versions started a change in the python implementation but then NaN went bankrupt and development stopped. Now that its open source.. development is moving again... but unfortunately nowhere near the same pace it was before when there were paid developers.

ton
Site Admin

Postby ton » Wed May 07, 2003 1:16 pm

It is really a matter of joining forces here... in the past there have been a lot of active python developers. It really should be possible to find a team who'll coordinate the efforts in Blender to keep the API running, and expand it...

Michel
Location: Somewhere below the rivers in Holland (but not Limburg)

Re: [rant] is it so hard to keep python consistency in blend

Postby Michel » Mon May 12, 2003 9:53 am

Hi Flure,

as one of the developers currently working on the Python part in Blender, I can probably answer your question :) .
Our current work involves a complete rewrite in the Python API. There are some problems in the current implementation, for example:
- Compilation problems,
- Two implementations of the API in one source directory - difficult to read source code,
- A lot of C preprocessor macro usage.

With the current work, the above problems should be resolved - although some C preprocessor macro usage will be kept. My initial goal was to keep the API 100% compatible with 2.23 and 2.25. So far, we are succeeding :D .

The GUI module will not return, but the most requested feature of that module - the fileselector - has already been added to the new implementation. In fact, the entire blender210 module will not return, unless there is some person willing to implement it.

For 2.27 nothing has been changed since 2.26 - apart from a few bugfixes. Our goal is to have the new implementation ready for 2.28.

With regards,
Michel

Return to “Python”