Blender Documentation Project (BDP) !!!

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Are you interested in helping with the doc?

Yes
50%
No
18%
I don't know, what I can do
32%

Total votes: 28

droddl

Blender Documentation Project (BDP) !!!

Postby droddl » Fri Oct 18, 2002 12:00 pm

Heyho...

Of course we should wait until calli gives out some of the internal material from NaN.

But I just thought, that everyone who is interested in helping with a Blender Documentation should give me a short e-mail, including what you can or want to do! 8)

I also hope, that somebody can put up a homepage to organize everything! (pleaze!!!)

Ithought we can put most of the online-tutorials (or the best of them) together into one big Doc!

We now can make a short index of what should be in the doc and then assign topics to everyone!

Something like this:
:arrow: Index
:arrow: User Interface
:arrow: Modeling (Big part ;-))
:arrow: Animating (Maybe as big as modeling)
:arrow: Game-making (even bigger)
:arrow: Special Features (Radiosity, Plugins, Sequence editor)
:arrow: Appendices

Just say, what you think of it!

Bye :P

Kuroi69

Postby Kuroi69 » Fri Oct 18, 2002 10:38 pm

Hey Droddl, I can help translating the Docs into spanish, maybe I can help designing the templates so everyone can use a standard format.
I have some background editing files and docs, and also in translating things, and of course using blender.

xitnalta

Re: Blender Documentation Project (BDP) !!!

Postby xitnalta » Sat Oct 19, 2002 1:16 am

droddl wrote:Of course we should wait until calli gives out some of the internal material from NaN.

You're so right.

droddl wrote:But I just thought, that everyone who is interested in helping with a Blender Documentation should give me a short e-mail, including what you can or want to do! 8)

Would you please do some more research before pursuing this any further? There were very long discussions on this topic (especially on http://elysiun.com/ , but also here), and I don't think your attempt is going to help the cause in any way. We're really not looking for yet another cool doc. leader. Although I would honestly say that I have some experience in doc. writing and could probably do organize all this, I attended at the blender conference and got to know some of the people around here a bit more personally. This very fact convinced me that a lot more can be done by actually doing and/or discussing something than by making huge announcements.

droddl wrote:I also hope, that somebody can put up a homepage to organize everything! (pleaze!!!)

We already have a homepage to organize everything: http://www.blender.org/ .

droddl wrote:Ithought we can put most of the online-tutorials (or the best of them) together into one big Doc!

This is an idea I figured out will be rejected not only by the community, but also by Saint Ton. (We already have some saints around here. :D) Ton's idea about blender.org is to be very open-minded towards independent third-party contributions. Nobody should be forced to publish on blender.org.

What I proposed was that only official NaN stuff should initially be the official documentation (which is obvious and logical), and that there could be a categorized directory of links to already existing tutorials, alongsite a guide on how so inclined authors can integrate their tutorial(s) into the official doc. tree.

droddl wrote:We now can make a short index of what should be in the doc and then assign topics to everyone!

Just say, what you think of it!

It's surely a way to express your happy feelings and optimistic thoughts, but not a way to get this effort organized. It's quite irrational to start yet another doc. website before seeing where all the former NaN stuff is going to be. From there on, we can start work and build on what's already available.
Felix

droddl

BDP

Postby droddl » Sat Oct 19, 2002 9:07 am

Heyho

Would you please do some more research before pursuing this any further? There were very long discussions on this topic (especially on http://elysiun.com/ , but also here), and I don't think your attempt is going to help the cause in any way. We're really not looking for yet another cool doc. leader.

I don't know how I hurt you, but I never meant to be another doc leader! I only wanted to help!

Although I would honestly say that I have some experience in doc. writing and could probably do organize all this, I attended at the blender conference and got to know some of the people around here a bit more personally.

Great! Then do it! Put something online, where everyone can say, cool guy! He does something

This very fact convinced me that a lot more can be done by actually doing and/or discussing something than by making huge announcements.

What is your problem? I can't do anything, when I don't know what do do! One announcement with no result is better than doing nothing at all! That's my opinion!

We already have a homepage to organize everything: http://www.blender.org/ .

All right! Then let's do it!
What I wanted to say with organizing is what you did in another post from you! It's great! Very good ideas! Tha'ts what I thought of! But you can't wait until NaN does everything! There is so much to document! (Plugins, Scripts, Patches; ...) I just wanted to help!!!

It's quite irrational to start yet another doc. website before seeing where all the former NaN stuff is going to be. From there on, we can start work and build on what's already available.

Just what I was intended to say! Maybe we shoul focus on translating the existind docs once they are released! No problem! I only had to start somewhere!

Please don't feel too offended! If my tone sounds wrong it is not meant that way! ;-)

Bye

OutSaneAL

Postby OutSaneAL » Sat Oct 19, 2002 12:01 pm

A development only doc would be cool to help us newbs get starting in development for Blender.

(in time I guess) :)

xitnalta

Re: BDP

Postby xitnalta » Sat Oct 19, 2002 5:59 pm

droddl wrote:I don't know how I hurt you, but I never meant to be another doc leader! I only wanted to help!

Welcome in the club! (And: it wasn't you that hurt me - please have a look at my big failure over at http://alindis.sf.net/ . Especially have a look at the deadline... It is rather like me wanting to prevent you from doing the same.)

Great! Then do it! Put something online, where everyone can say, cool guy! He does something

What I actually wanted to say was: if I don't really do anything usable, just ignore me. I actually did something for the doc. efforts. One part was the long discussions about BLODO (Blender Open Documentation Project) on http://elysiun.com/ (the Blender Foundation forum), which was a proposal very similar to yours. (See also the thread on coblei.) The other part is http://mysite.iptic.com/xitnalta/ , where I put as a download both a (preliminary) description of how to use DocBook for Blender documentation, and a first version of a (relatively) simple to install DocBook environment for Windows and Unix. But I'm currently not working on it (for quite some time), so you might as well treat it as outdated, or as a work I'm too lazy to carry on - it depends on your interpretation. It might be revived for technically organizing the Blender documentation.

This very fact convinced me that a lot more can be done by actually doing and/or discussing something than by making huge announcements.

What is your problem? I can't do anything, when I don't know what do do! One announcement with no result is better than doing nothing at all! That's my opinion!

But there are more choices to you than Announcing or Idling. As I said before, you might consider looking for existing efforts that might already be a step ahead from what you're even still planning.

But you can't wait until NaN does everything! There is so much to document! (Plugins, Scripts, Patches; ...) I just wanted to help!!!

Ton asked for help on elYsiun.com and in "NaN documentation database + future". Just watch out - there's lots of stuff you can help with. You find them by exploring http://blender.org/ and http://elysiun.com/ .

Just what I was intended to say! Maybe we shoul focus on translating the existind docs once they are released! No problem! I only had to start somewhere!

First of all, docs can't be translated if they're not available. Then, it is quite hard to translate anything if you have dozens of different formats, some of which you might not even be able to read without buying expensive software (such as MS Office or Quark). (Ok, from the preview I got from Carsten, it doesn't (yet) look that worrying (it's mostly SGML formats). I only hope that's not only the case for this preview tarball. :wink:)

Please don't feel too offended! If my tone sounds wrong it is not meant that way! ;-)

Well, it's rather the other way round! To say it bluntly, my ego feels somewhat privileged to have been able to attend the conference, and thus thinks it (me) is having more reason to have an opinion on all this. Actually, there's some truth in that, since I've got a better overview of everything at the conf., but I could (and should) be a lot more open (or: friendly) towards other people's ideas nonetheless.
Felix

TEKOBYTE

Postby TEKOBYTE » Sat Oct 19, 2002 9:42 pm

Hello,

I am also working on a Blender documentation project (coblei).
I am glad to know that I am not the only one for the idea...

A better final product may be created if we were to colaborate on one project together.
I personally would rather be part of something and have it turn out well, and without
rivallry, than to the head of something that doesn't turn out well, and is part of a conflict.
If there were to be multiple documentation projects, it may be simlar to two of the same
type of stores directly across the street from eactother; each one constantly trying to out do the other.

xitnalta:
It is too bad you were not organized enough to finish your alindis project, but that does not,
by any means, give you the right to discourage attempts to do something great.

I hope that we can all come to a good agreement, one that demonstrates the true Blender Community.

Sincerely,
Derek Mounce

derjan

German Documentation

Postby derjan » Sun Oct 20, 2002 5:48 pm

Hi there,

i´ve got an simple question... i´am an blender newbie, just exploring the world of 3d grapics with help of this little tiny program.
are there any german translation project´s yet?
Because my english is not the best ;)

xitnalta

Re: German Documentation

Postby xitnalta » Sun Oct 20, 2002 8:18 pm

derjan wrote:are there any german translation project´s yet?

People already proposed to translate stuff to Spanish and Italian, but that's about it (until now), so translators are needed everywhere. The official docs that are available (look at the Documentation link in the left-hand menu - there's more to follow) still need to be sorted out and to be converted into a common documentation format. If a common format for the documentation "source" has been found, translations can be accepted there as well.
Felix

Return to “Documentation & Education”