Documentation 'source'

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

matt_e

Documentation 'source'

Postby matt_e » Fri Oct 18, 2002 4:59 am

I don't know if this falls under the IP that was released by NaN, but is there any chance that the 'source' of the documentation (the original Illustrator files, Quark files, Word files, whatever) such as the Game engine PDF or the manuals could be released? It'd be great if people could use it as a sort of template to make their own tutorials so they're all designed the same way, making it easier for users to understand and move from one tutorial to the next?

If not, perhaps it might be an idea to start a project to design and lay out a tutorial/documentation 'template' that could be used in this fashion.

calli

Postby calli » Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:57 am

The gameEngine Doc is still sold in the eshop, I guess we should make it also OpenSource. Hmm, but maybe it also is still under a different license (like the Blender Publishers recently posted).

The 2.0 Guide is property of the publisher (Prima?).

I hope I can put something to download this weekend.

Carsten.

xitnalta

Re: Documentation 'source'

Postby xitnalta » Sat Oct 19, 2002 1:28 am

broken wrote:If not, perhaps it might be an idea to start a project to design and lay out a tutorial/documentation 'template' that could be used in this fashion.

I already started a project about setting up a Blender-specific DocBook environment for Windows and Unix (including an incomplete guide to such 'templates') at http://mysite.iptic.com/xitnalta/ .

My goal is that there are (subsets of) different formats people can use to contribute documentation, so that nobody is forced to use only either HTML, DocBook, Wiki, (La)TeX, Texinfo, or whatever. There has to be a central format, though, which will naturally be best supported, and DocBook could serve this purpose well. It can be formatted into any style of HTML, PDF, Plain text you want - if you find the suitable tools for that.

But I want to wait for Carsten's uploads and more time - I will have to restrict myself to one or two hours a day for Blender. There's a terrible lot of stuff I have to do for school. The infamous last year...
Felix

ton
Site Admin

Postby ton » Sat Oct 19, 2002 3:17 pm

Hi,

Not owned by NaN, and therefore not being opened:
- official Guide 2.0

Owned by NaN, but still a commercial eshop product:
- tutorial guide 1
- tutorial guide 2
- game engine documentation pdf

Owned by NaN, and all available during the next period
- technical docs (developers)
- content produced for websites

In time, the commercial eshop products will become available as text-editable docs as well. I have to go over that.
There's also the issue for a standardisation of end-user docs. This should somehow be a little bit designed, in a pretty readable shape, images, etc.

The technical docs can remain more simple I guess...

matt_e

Postby matt_e » Sun Oct 20, 2002 4:21 am

Sorry, I don't think I was very clear... It's the standardisation of the documentation that I was talking about. Even if the Docs owned by Nan aren't able to be released for free, would the original files (say, with all the text/images deleted) be able to be released, in order to use as templates for futher documentation that the community might make?

ton
Site Admin

Postby ton » Sun Oct 20, 2002 3:10 pm

Hi,

Just the text? That would be ok I guess. Give it some time... if you guys come up with an organisation how to do all this, then I can gather all stuff from our databases in the meantime.
Goal is to make as much available as possible. :)

-Ton-

Return to “Documentation & Education”