Undo Command????

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Hqpsy

Undo Command????

Postby Hqpsy » Tue May 27, 2003 2:40 pm

How to do an undo command? (like ctrl+z in regular windows apps)

I haven't found this thing.. Any ideas?

Little_Cube

Re: Undo Command????

Postby Little_Cube » Tue May 27, 2003 10:49 pm

Hqpsy wrote:How to do an undo command? (like ctrl+z in regular windows apps)

I haven't found this thing.. Any ideas?

There's no real undo in Blender. The only thing similar to an undo, is the U hotkey which, while you're in Edit mode (TAB) reverts to the state the mesh, surface, etc. was when you entered Edit mode.

Goran

Hqpsy

Postby Hqpsy » Wed May 28, 2003 9:11 am

my worst nightmare has come true.. No Undo!!!!

Jamesk

Postby Jamesk » Wed May 28, 2003 11:14 am

Well, it's not that bad you know. Here's what everybody else does:

* CTRL+W - ENTER (save the current file, takes less than a second)

Then do the stuff you suspect might cause problems.

And, if you indeed got into trouble:
* CTRL+O - ENTER (reverts to last saved version of your file, takes less than a second)

This soon becomes a muscular memory reflex. You will do it without even thinking. In your sleep, your fingers will soon go through these motions all by themselves after a few weeks. This proves you have started to become a Blenderhead. And once the print on your 'W'-key starts to wear off, you will know that you have worked hard enough for the past year.

I've used blender for more than 3 years now, and I actually use this principle in other apps too, even those equipped with a standard undo feature. And it's really good - and more reliable.

Hqpsy

Postby Hqpsy » Wed May 28, 2003 12:20 pm

Hmm.. sounds quite alright..

Thx dude

Jamesk

Postby Jamesk » Wed May 28, 2003 4:41 pm

You're welcome! Indeed.

Homer_S

Postby Homer_S » Thu May 29, 2003 9:13 pm

Jamesk , from someone still learning blender and who makes more mistakes than anyone on the planet,:( THANK YOU. :D

Jamesk

Postby Jamesk » Thu May 29, 2003 11:58 pm

Homer_S: Making mistakes is a good thing. You learn a lot while doing them, and sometimes - not often though - you even come up with something really cool while accidently messing stuff up.

matt_e

Postby matt_e » Fri May 30, 2003 4:15 am

Also, if you go to the user preferences menuy, you can set Blender to save incremental temporary files ever X minutes, so you can revert t oone of those as well. These get saved in the temporary directory in 'File paths'. Also, whenever you quit Blender, a file named quit.blend is saved in the same temporary directory, allowing you to continue where you last left off, even if you forgot to save.

I think it'd be a good idea to write up a document with all of these 'undo workarounds' so they're all together somewhere, so we could just point to it whenever people ask about undo. There's a fair bit of information on elysiun about this topic if you do a search too. Anyone willing to put something together?

ideasman

Postby ideasman » Fri May 30, 2003 10:41 am

I find that duplicating mesh(s) (SHIFT+D) and then moving it to another layer for backup- a good way not to loose things.

Hqpsy

Postby Hqpsy » Fri May 30, 2003 5:20 pm

I hope that someone put in a real undo function into blender sometime..

ylai

Postby ylai » Sat May 31, 2003 12:13 am

Hqpsy wrote:I hope that someone put in a real undo function into blender sometime..

A multi-level undo function in Blender is really not a bad idea. At the moment, I can only help myself by saving into many different "versions" frequently.

Return to “Interface & Tools”