Video Tutorial Section Request.

Feedback to the Blender Foundation and the moderators of this website

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

websam101

Video Tutorial Section Request.

Postby websam101 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:26 am

Can you please change existing video tutorials to flash compressed video tutorials... The avi format is really big for nothing and they are consuming bandwidth really fast. Thanks.

I also found this interesting http://www.debugmode.com/wink/ for linux and windows and it have the capability to add some preset shapes for help also text, buttons, it record voice, it generate the code to html/flash compressed video, there is no copyright logo, it's really fast to generate, delete unneeded frames or add some others even add audio and most of all its free! :)

So maybe you should make a new tutorial about making a video tutorial.

Corniger

Re: Video Tutorial Section Request.

Postby Corniger » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:06 pm

websam101 wrote:Can you please change existing video tutorials to flash compressed video tutorials... The avi format is really big for nothing and they are consuming bandwidth really fast. Thanks.

I know, not everybody has flat rate, but Video tuts aren't THAT big and I REALLY prefer larger files. Most YouTube Vids are so crappy they're almost useless if the screencam moves too fast, the Audio is abysmal in places and I always leech the tuts so I don't have to play them back from sucky YouTube et al. So how much bandwidth is being consumed there? How many hours of tuts do you watch a day so your bandwidth is gone? :?
I'd always prefer to cut vids into one large file that I can play back without problems, and where I can remove stuff like "visit my site" and so on that take 20% of the tut vid.
Si I personally prefer sharp to blurred, boxy and artifact-ridden!
Blender changed and improved my life by at least 50%!

snifi

Postby snifi » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:22 am

Jes, I feel the same: Prefer OGG, AVI, WMV whenever possible. It is very annoying with WINK-made tutorials, where you have to press a mousebutton hundred times during a short tutorial walk-through.

Corniger

Postby Corniger » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:28 pm

Especially going back in YouTube and other bad quality vids is annoying, always having to watch the same stuff over and over again because it cues too far ahead/back. I wish the tutors could put their full res stuff on some free server or sell it on DVDs. Would make a lot more sense :idea:

jesterKing
Site Admin

Postby jesterKing » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:10 am

There are already many DVD's for sale with tutorials and timelapses.

/Nathan

Corniger

Postby Corniger » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:50 am

I know, I already own some (NOT PIRATED) and I`ll get all of them anyway, but there's still a lot more out there, and if someone takes the pain and crates 40 tutorials, why not burn them to a DVD for a few bucks?

Skaruts

Postby Skaruts » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:48 am

The bad videos on youtube were made by ppl with bad or neglecting video skills. I've always loved youtube for tutorials and never had any problems with it. If a video is that bad I just look for another.

If I have to leach the videos or not it's up to me, but the quality is a minor problem, as far as I'm conserned. I hate downloading 300 Mb files for each 10-20 minutes tutorial, even though I have very high download limits.

But if I have to choose between AVI or WMV I will choose the later one, no doubt. AVI is usually much larger in size and WMV quality isn't that much worse. For this matter, of course.

joeri

Postby joeri » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:25 pm

Please stop spreading nonsens about containers and filesizes.

wmv is not smaller than avi by default. These are fileformat conventions not codec conventions.

Its a combi of the video codec, that quality, the audio codec, that quality, the screensize, the amount of colors and the length of the movie that makes up the size of the file. As you can see a few variables to pick.

The container just cuts of users of another operating system.
Use Quicktime and you'll have troubles on linux & windows.
Use Wmv and you cant scroll nor have good playback on linux and osx.
Use Ogg and you'll need a nerd for playback ( maybe firefox3.4 will change this )
So,... mpeg 4 should be our solution, except its also still an obscure container because bluray makers like to keep it obscure.

h.264 should be the codec of choice, but is difficult to create.

For tutorials spoken in bad english with small wires as visual there is no real good codec. You'll need good audio quality and highres in good quality to see things like words in a menu.
Also... yeah... Books have editors striping out rubbish while video tutorials seem to lack editors or have editors that like hearing themself talk.

http://www.blender.org/education-help/video-tutorials/
Yeah.. divx... hmm...

petercroker

Postby petercroker » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:30 pm

Corniger wrote:I know, I already own some (NOT PIRATED) and I`ll get all of them anyway, but there's still a lot more out there, and if someone takes the pain and crates 40 tutorials, why not burn them to a DVD for a few bucks?

As a newbie, video tutorials are the easiest way to learn for me. Also much better to have them in a package rather than search through youtube. So where are they available please?

Return to “Foundation and Websites”