Import text to text objects

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

diz

Import text to text objects

Postby diz » Sat May 31, 2003 7:50 pm

Hello!

I've a small suggestion to further enhance the text objets: It would be great if there were a way to import text into the text objects without having to re-type it. I'm able to import a text file into the text editor (SHIFT+F11), but I'm not able to import text into a text object. This is annoying because I'll have to re-type it all into my text object and I'll need a lot of text...

One of the following solutions would be of great help:
-- Add something like an "import" button into the edit buttons of a text object that would import from an external text file.
-- Same thing, but the button would import from a text datablock (I mean a page of the text editor).
-- Or just make an internal copy-paste (ALT-C; ALT-V) work from the internal text editor to the text edit mode (I think that would be the most elegant way).

I think that this may also be useful to other blender users because now that blender uses freetype it's a great application for animating typography. Of course I could use after effects, but it sucks and blender is just much more powerful, fast and versatile for most of the cases.

Thank's to every programers that have worked on blender to make it so great. And I hope that this feature will be implemented one day. ;)

Gabriel

ray_theray

Postby ray_theray » Sat May 31, 2003 9:06 pm

The feature's already there :D . Just import the file in the text editor with ALT-SHIFT-F, Open. Then press Alt-M. Voila! (This is only in Blender 2.27, not anything before).
-ray_theray

diz

That's great!!

Postby diz » Sat May 31, 2003 11:56 pm

Wow, yeah, that's really great!!

I missed that new feature, and am happy to see that it all exists! ALT-M for Magic, I suppose :wink:

Thanks ray, and thanks to the programer that magically anticipated that feature!

Gabriel

Return to “Interface & Tools”