2.27 VERY slow in browse windows..

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Monkeyboi

2.27 VERY slow in browse windows..

Postby Monkeyboi » Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:06 pm

Blender 2.27. Great update. Skinning and stuff is top.

But, one large bug in the new version is that the browse windows (ie the open, images and save windows) run extremely slowly under windows. It's unbearable to use! My guess is it has something to do with the new file management fuctions like Delete File in these windows. I've tested this on several machines, and everywhere the browse windows are amazingly slow.

I'd rather step back to to old approach in the next Blender version, and anyway, who cares if you can delete files from within Blender?

diz

Re: 2.27 VERY slow in browse windows..

Postby diz » Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:50 pm

I don't have such problems... I don't know what I'm doing differently, but for me everything seems to work fine. I have win2k with directx9 and the latest windoz uptates installed... I'll do some more tests on other computers when I'll use them next week.

Gabriel

Mel_Q

mine too...maybe

Postby Mel_Q » Sun Jun 08, 2003 6:00 am

If you're referring to the load time of the 'image select' window, I have
the same problem. Other than that load time, it seems as quick as the
previous versions, but the load time keeps me from noticing if it
is or is not. lol

matt_e

Postby matt_e » Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:08 am

Monkeyboi, is this problem appearing for all file select windows (including File->Open and File-> save)? Or is it just the image select windows?

I think the slowdown in the imageselect is caused by the new quicktime integration, as it's now possible to preview many more files than in previous versions, and it takes a while to read them all. Hrm, maybe a preference to turn on/off image previews might be a good idea...
Last edited by matt_e on Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phase

Postby phase » Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:54 pm

broken wrote:I think the slowdown in the imageselect is caused by the new quicktime integration, as it's not possible to preview many more files than in previous versions, and it takes a while to read them all. Hrm, maybe a preference to turn on/off image previews might be a good idea...

Yes... the recent addition of Quicktime is causing a slowdown in the imagebrowser.
To improve the imagebrowser speed you can use the Filter File extensions button
in the (system & opengl) user preference window.
Blender will try to generate thumbnails only for files with a valid filename extension.

But why would one want a usersetting to turn image previews off when there
is a button to activate a fileselecter *without* thumbnails ? :wink:

Rob

matt_e

Postby matt_e » Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:34 pm

phase wrote:But why would one want a usersetting to turn image previews off when there is a button to activate a fileselecter *without* thumbnails ? :wink:

Probably because 'one' who suggested such a preference is stupid and forgetful and is so used to just clicking on 'Load Image' that one ignores the standard fileselect button that's right next to it.. D'oh! :oops:

Return to “Interface & Tools”