Writting an essay on textures.

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Elsdon

Writting an essay on textures.

Postby Elsdon » Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:55 am

I have finished my first tutorial for beginners texturing and am working on three more with the same theme. I am also working on a companion piece. My plans for this are to make it an essay on why one texture is superior to another. Why I selcet one and pass on another. That is to say, exactly what I look for when I search out a specific texture for a specific model.

If anyone would like to add their thoughts on this subject they would be most welcome to. As Blender is such a community driven program I feel that a community driven essay would be a monumental help to get new people headed in the right direction.

My goal is to make this essay the benchmark for Blender training. This is probally not something I can do alone.

If you would like to participate just email me with either a synopsis or completely organized thoughts at:

rbolger@charter.net

I am including my website for the purpose of your being able to judge wether you would even want your name associated with the quality of work that I do. You can also access the first tutorial from page 2.

http://www.geocities.com/woodsmith102000/

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope I hear from you.

Elsdon

mthoenes

Postby mthoenes » Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:14 pm

Elsdon,
Your texture work is generally quite nice. Textures can be a complicated and somewhat confusing issue, particularly with all the options Blender provides. I encourage you to participate in the Blender Documentation project if you feel you would like to write something about textures, I am sure many could benefit from your knowledge.

One thing I did notice about your texture work is that it generally appeared flat. This makes me wonder about your use of bump mapping, specularity mapping, etc. I still do not have true grasp on all this myself.

Personally, I would flush the "sewer" as part of your site name, your work should be moved up above ground for the world to see.

cprfan

Re: Writting an essay on textures.

Postby cprfan » Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:17 am

Elsdon wrote:I have finished my first tutorial for beginners texturing and am working on three more with the same theme. I am also working Elsdon

I read your first tutorial the other night, it was pretty good.

Return to “Documentation & Education”