another idea for gui...

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

sten

another idea for gui...

Postby sten » Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:36 am

I answered Landis post at Elysiun of an idea concerning a new idea for Blender's gui. I guess this is better place to start or show my idea.

why is it that everyone think of having menus or windows HORISONTALLY placed, I have felt MANY times it takes up alot of space, and many have moaned when mentioning pop-up (or dialouge windows) for saving space, but my suggestion takes it to another idea/level:

I would like to see Blender having the menus at either Left or Right side, as bars you can pull out, with very little space but still work-able, so here's a suggestion for coders: try to think of a GUI idea to have menus at sidebars, you could use current buttons and layout, but rather in a VERTICAL fashion than HORISONTAL, and yes, maybe use tabs there too? why not? would save loads of space, or why not able to have bars both at the Left and the Right?

to add some more to this, why not use XML to be able to pick and change your own placed menus/gui where menus shall be placed, to able to save it as a reference file, and if you delete it, it goes back to default state, and why not use this idea for next blender, like Blender 3.* and above ? ...now when we must starts to think what We really want...

yours...

Landis

Postby Landis » Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:23 pm

Ztonzy,

Whats up buddy?!?! I have a similar view as you on this. I posted comments at both Elysiun and here at Blender.org located at the following address:

http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=m ... =8787#8787

Cheers,
Landis

Etna

Postby Etna » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:33 am

bad idea ZtonZy :)

mathijs

Postby mathijs » Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:03 pm

In order for the current blender interface to be verticalized (does that word exist?) some serious rearanging should be done. A vertical based bar should not be too wide, otherwise the whole intension of gaining space is lost.

The idea of tabs and flyouts does appeal to me and not everything needs to be on te left or the right side.
certain things wich take little space could still reside in a lower status bar.

In my view the more viewing space you can cet the better (i prefer a 4 view settup with front, side, top and perspective) With the horizontal bar the hight of these views is not addequate. Of course, the side bar shouldn't be to wide either or the with of the views would come in danger

btw Landis, I realy love you're Airman
it makes me wanna be a better modeler and texturer

sten

Postby sten » Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:09 pm

Etna wrote:bad idea ZtonZy :)

hardly

but maybe you like to vaste space on your screen, I don't

sorry :lol:

Etna

Postby Etna » Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:59 pm

Not at all ZtonZy.
I'm working with different resolutions, and in 1024x768 isn't tight, really. Try to work with Maya or Max in 1024x768 ;)
Well, what's your ref for the sidebar? Or what would you like to see within?

No for me (just for me), the current space is cool..even enough, don't forget you can zoom and pan in all types of view (Oops, UV editor, 3Dviews, Ipo etc etc).

Make the "view" (3dviews or UVeditor etc) able to float would be more interesting, no? again more interesting if you have 2 screens.

In fact, i didn't be really clear, i agreed with you for arrangement but not for a Sidebar in itself because the view can be anything. (history Stack, Top view, Oops, etc...) and a sidebar is too rigid.
Thus, the possibility to organize e.g.:MeshEditor vertically/horizontally for those who want that, is cool indeed.

my 0,002Eurocents

sten

Postby sten » Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:40 pm

Etna:

just take a quick look at LightWave3D's interface...that is one hell of a good GUI, it has everything good placed...either a menu at left or right...and couple of tabs at top, and when clicking them the menus/buttons, at the sides shift depending what Bar you clicked on, and LW has been around since Amiga days...and I cant imagine another great spacesaving interface as LW has...and you even have floating pop-dialouges when needed...hey, at that point Blender cant beat LW, it totally rocks...

and I know all stuff you write in your post. zooming...dont think I am newbie or so, I have used Blender since more than 2 years, and I also have Blender 2.0 Guide as printed, also 2 years old, and you can ask any famous Blender user about me and my skills, so go right on ;) LOL

Oh, btw I almost forgot! My screen res is mostly these settings:

1152x864 or 1280x1024 ;)

so I know what spacesaving is :P but at the moment I run dual monitors with a desktop at this size: 2176x864 pixels 8)

Etna

Postby Etna » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:43 am

I didn't put your skills in doubt Ztonzy... it was just an example.

The only version of Lightwave which i've tried, was number 5 (4-5years ago). I liked the separation between Editor Module and Animation Module.
but for the rest i can't remember.I never had the possibility of working with LW but i knew its Power.

1152x864 or 1280x1024

And you're tight again? hehe

okay, i got your point. If you idea stills in a LW's trend, i do agree.

so I know what spacesaving is but at the moment I run dual monitors with a desktop at this size: 2176x864 pixels

By the way, what's your settings? D'you run under Linux?

cheers

sten

Postby sten » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:49 am

Etna wrote:I didn't put your skills in doubt Ztonzy... it was just an example.

The only version of Lightwave which i've tried, was number 5 (4-5years ago). I liked the separation between Editor Module and Animation Module.
but for the rest i can't remember.I never had the possibility of working with LW but i knew its Power.

goodie ;)

Etna wrote:1152x864 or 1280x1024

And you're tight again? hehe

well, as always ;) you can't have to much space :D

Etna wrote:okay, i got your point. If you idea stills in a LW's trend, i do agree.

great, thanks! yes, LW has a great GUI, awsome!

Etna wrote:so I know what spacesaving is but at the moment I run dual monitors with a desktop at this size: 2176x864 pixels

By the way, what's your settings? D'you run under Linux?

cheers

both, dual boot...but yes...same res size under windows and linux...but at moment i type this: windows...but in linux it is red hat 9...

and not to forget, I also got a Graphire2 :) !! nice things to have...

yours...

Return to “Interface & Tools”