Blender Ressource Site

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Is there a need to make a Blender Ressource Site?

Yes, there needs to be one place where information is centralized.
93%
No, there is already enough infrastructure with all the blender dedicated sites.
7%

Total votes: 14

diz

Blender Ressource Site

Postby diz » Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:25 pm

Hello,

As I'm browsing around the user ressources for blender, I think that everything is decentralized, there are a lot of dead links, and you never know what script, plug-in or tutorial has been done for which version of blender. The quality of the ressouces are also very different, and often I saw beginners that try to learn blender with obsolete tutorials.

So I thaught about designing a web site that would archive the links to the following kind or ressources:
- Tutorials
- Scripts
- Plugins
- Useful executables for blender (or alien blender builds)
- Other ?

People could submit links to their ressouces (the content would stay on the user's web space) along with the version of blender it works with. Other users could vote for the quality and the usefulness of the ressouces. They could also post comments for each ressouce, add further precisions (such as what other versions of blender it works with or not). There should also be some good (but easy) search tool.

The aim would be to make a good system that would be as much auto-administrated as possible. So there could for eg. also be a way to say that a link is down. If there are several people that report that a ressource is no more availible, the ressouce is no more visible and a mail is sent to the person that originated the ressouce. If he wants to revive the ressouce he can do it by telling the system where it is online again.

I didn't think about the system very deeply yet, but I'm ready to do it this summer hollyday after my exams and I would use PHP and MySQL and GPL my code (so that others may also contribute if interested). So I need to have some feedback about how you imagine such a tool if you think that it would be useful at all. And are there people that would have time to do the administration that the system needs even if it's very independent?

Also, if people are interested, I should know if I can obtain help from the blender foundation or from elysiun for the hosting of this system. If there's no possibility, I can also host it by myself, I'm ready to pay 100$/year if I need to. I'm also ready to merge my project with whatever is already planed to be done by the blender foundation or any other project.

Thank's :)

Gabriel

z3r0_d

Postby z3r0_d » Sun Jun 08, 2003 6:13 am

the fourms on elysiun.com have a lot of what you mention

There are sticky threads under Q&A, Python&Plugins, and Game Engine, with links to various games, scripts, tutorials....
(that said it is far from complete)

i think that would be a good place to start

matt_e

Postby matt_e » Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:02 am

diz, have a look here :)
http://www.blender3d.org/Download/?sub=Resources

Rather than creating yet another new website, it might be good if that blender3d.org page can perhaps be extended with your ideas - especially since the blender3d.org site gets heaps of hits and is nice and centralised. In the meantime, if you'd like to help maintaining/finding new content for the current page, please email Ton or myself.

ideasman

Postby ideasman » Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:08 am

It would be great if there was a central database to textures, lighting set ups, mesh's etc.

I would be happy to add all the textures I have made.

I have seen a texture database but all the textures were tiny jpegs.

Mabe blender.org could host it.

diz

Postby diz » Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:07 am

Yes, I know the blender3d web site and elysiun and they are great. The problem of blender3d is that you cannot submit new stuff, you have to wait that the admins do it if they think it's useful, and that's all right, it's not the aim of blender3d to reference *everything*. The problem of elysiun is that they are forums, thus everybody can contribute for the best and the worse in every direction without any systematic gudeline, and that's all right too, because that's the aim of an open forum.

So what I think we could need is a web site that concentrates on what a few topics try to do on elysiun: gather ressource links. By focusing on that it could be possible to do it even better (votes, clear indications with what version of blender it works, don't show ressouces that are down, etc, etc). These features are not possible in a forum but I think they would greatly help the community.

The fact that many ressouces are already listed at elysiun is great, that means that if we do a better system, we can start by feeding it with all the informations found on elysiun.

Gabriel

diz

Postby diz » Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:22 am

ideasman wrote:It would be great if there was a central database to textures, lighting set ups, mesh's etc.

I would be happy to add all the textures I have made.

I have seen a texture database but all the textures were tiny jpegs.

That's interesting. But I'm not yet sure if it's useful to gather textures, because there are already a few web sites doing that, such as http://www.imageafter.com/. But as I never used them I cannot juge if they are ok or not. So if you (and others) think that a texture ressouce could be great, then I'll do it, it's not a problem. Perhaps the idea could be to add blender specific texture, material and lightning ressouces, where people could post links to blender files where one or mroe of these elements are already pre-configured.

A mesh section would be great too, to be able to download humans, cars, spaceships, monkeys, etc. As well as grass, tree, human and monkey python generators. ;)

Gabriel

matt_e

Postby matt_e » Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:09 pm

diz wrote:Yes, I know the blender3d web site and elysiun and they are great. The problem of blender3d is that you cannot submit new stuff, you have to wait that the admins do it if they think it's useful

Well, there's a link at the top of the page to email in new suggestions, and I haven't not added a suggestion yet :). Anyway what I'm saying is that rather than start a new site - if you can manage it and maintain it and if it doesn't cause a huge server load, it may be a better idea to integrate it with what's already at blender3d.org. That way, it's nice and easy for people to find and you don't have to worry about getting enough hits for it to be meaningful. Just a suggestion anyway.

diz

Postby diz » Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:51 pm

broken wrote:Well, there's a link at the top of the page to email in new suggestions, and I haven't not added a suggestion yet :)

You mean that you've always added suggestions ;) That's cool!

broken wrote:Anyway what I'm saying is that rather than start a new site - if you can manage it and maintain it and if it doesn't cause a huge server load, it may be a better idea to integrate it with what's already at blender3d.org.

I would love to integrate it to any existing infrastructure! And I'm ready to manage the technical part and correct bugs or implement new features within reasonable delays. But I don't think that I've enough time to administrate the stuff alone - I mean to read most of the posts and correct stuff that have been posted into wrong categories, etc. Because even if I want to implement a few auto-administrative tools, admins are always needed.

What I suggest is that I'll continue to make me some idea of what's needed by gathering user suggestions and think about how I'll structure the stuff. And I'll begin to code within 1-2 moths and put the work in progress on my web site so that people can test it and make more suggestions. Once we consider the stuff as mature, we can integrate it into the blender3d web site (or any other site if we eventually come to another conclusion).

Gabriel

dka

BlenderBase

Postby dka » Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:44 am

There's also another thing which comes into my mind reading this discussion:
B@rt's BlenderBase (http://www.vrotvrot.com/support)

I think the BlenderBase has a lot of the requested features such as user ratings and submitting of new information. IMHO there are a lot of features which should be implemented (i already wrote B@rt about it). As final step, BlenderBase should be integrated in the blender.org website (already on B@rt's TODO).

And ... BlenderBase already has a lot of knowlegde and links to external tutorials, ...

diz

Re: BlenderBase

Postby diz » Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:16 pm

dka wrote:There's also another thing which comes into my mind reading this discussion:
B@rt's BlenderBase (http://www.vrotvrot.com/support)

Thank's, you're right to mention this! It may be very useful for me to either work on the current sources (the blender base's source files - phpbrain are happily gpl) or to inspire me for my work (if it's too hard or not appropriated to continue bart's work). For me it's also very important to analyse how good the blender base is currently working and why, because I'll have similar problems.

I think that there are several problems with the current blender base. But it's also an extremely complicate task to help so to find something within so many information. And it's probably even more complicate to push users to use such a system!

The people seeking for an answer really must try that system. So there must be a good search engine (I think that's ok with the current blender base). The interface must be easy to use (that seems to be ok too). The system must be very easy to find for users - I think that's currently more the problem, there are very few places where the blender base is linked. The problem is that if there are only few questions, other people will not find answers because the probability is too low that anyone else already asked that question.

And more advanced users must often try to answer the questions and perhaps also introduce a complete question/answer pair when they successfully soved a problem on elysiun. I think that here's also a problem, there are a lot of opened questions, and there are also very few additional comments to the existing questions. I think that the problem is that it's less gratifying to answer the questions at the knowlege base, because you don't help direcly the person that had the problem, you'll only help the next one. And there's also no real dialoge that takes place to really undestand what one meant and to go on to further details that may also be very useful.

I think that one thing that could really enhance the blender base is to hook it together with a real forum, such as the q&a forum of elysiun. I mean technically hook it together, so that you could link together elements of the forum to the knowledge base and reciprocly. The aim would be to allow people to freely chat together about their problems. If questions are well solved, there should be a way to pass it to the knowlege base. That means that motivated people should do a quick synthesis of the question and the corresponding answers that leaded to a successful problem solving and put the whole thing into the good category of the knowlege base.

The other thing would of course be to put it at a very strategic place at blender.org and blender3d.org, so that any person having difficulties find it.

Gabriel

Elsdon

Postby Elsdon » Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:08 am

I think the fact that so many responses have pointed out excellent sources for Blender stuff is an indication that we do need to centralize this information.

elYsiun is a great source but it is so scattered and their search engine leaves some to be desired, thus making it a hit or miss proposition at best. A couple of the members have set up web sites dedicated to tutorials but there seems to be a need to be in some inner circle to get a link on them.

A categorized central location would be in the best interest of Blender and everyone that uses it.

Elsdon.

Return to “Documentation & Education”