Blender plug-in VS Flash???

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

bedsitter

Blender plug-in VS Flash???

Postby bedsitter » Sat Oct 19, 2002 2:21 am

Hi,

Does the blender plug-in have functionnality to interact with the browser as does Flash? like redirection, reload etc...

If so that would be a GREAT thing, blender could really reinvent the web the same way Flash did.... For that to happen though we need to continue developement on both IE and N.

Anyhow I'm currently learning python so I can start using Game Blender and put some 3D goodies on friends sites(to lazy to build one for myself :D ).

Cheers

Pierre-Luc

k-fish

Re: Blender plug-in VS Flash???

Postby k-fish » Sat Oct 19, 2002 11:20 am

bedsitter wrote:Does the blender plug-in have functionnality to interact with the browser as does Flash? like redirection, reload etc...

If so that would be a GREAT thing, blender could really reinvent the web the same way Flash did.... For that to happen though we need to continue developement on both IE and N.

Yes, it has that functionality. Maarten mentioned some sample file that was available once, where you could click on the sides of a spinning cube, to go to different URLs (btw. is that still available somewhere?). And it even works the other way round, you can influence things inside the plugin through JavaScript, e.g. to highlight objetcs when clicking on a link or button.

This basically works on both NS and IE, but there is probably some more coding needed to make it work in Mozilla, NS 6/7 and all other Mozilla-derivatives. They use XPConnect instead of LiveConnect to make this interaction possible.

calli

Postby calli » Sat Oct 19, 2002 1:00 pm

Maybe someone remembers the 3d-e-cards we produced. They used heavy interfacing with the HTML and a sql database via php.

Carsten.

jeotero

Postby jeotero » Fri Oct 25, 2002 6:07 am

anybody ?

k-fish

Postby k-fish » Fri Oct 25, 2002 9:52 am

jeotero wrote:anybody ?

no. errrm... what?

:wink:
Karsten

calli

Postby calli » Fri Oct 25, 2002 11:03 am

I think I have the scripts and my own ecards (they were not locked, so maybe someone already has them). And as Ton said, the foundation owns the complete material from blender.nl I think we could put it online. At least I can put it to the downloads as "as it is".

Carsten.

jeotero

Postby jeotero » Fri Oct 25, 2002 5:12 pm

anybody has this docs ?

k-fish

Postby k-fish » Fri Oct 25, 2002 5:42 pm

calli wrote:At least I can put it to the downloads as "as it is".

Carsten.

That would be cool. It could shorten the time until the old sample stuff goes online.

Karsten :)

jeotero

Postby jeotero » Sat Oct 26, 2002 5:56 am

as it is, would be great

jeotero

Postby jeotero » Wed Dec 04, 2002 4:42 am

so nobody has this files ?

it would be great to create a game and then when the game is over send the user to a score page where he can put his name and score :)

k-fish

Postby k-fish » Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:49 pm

jeotero wrote:so nobody has this files ?

Seems to be so. I emailed Carsten directly, maybe this will get things going :)

Karsten

knebbes

Postby knebbes » Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:23 pm

i am actually planning to make a website usingthe blender plugin. one thing i'm missing is the ability to load parts of the movie later than others, so the visitor doesn't have to load the entire site at once (what you can do in flash using the "loadMovie" command). is there something like that in blender, or can it be scripted? i'm new to blender & python, so i don't have a clue. :oops:

another question is how save the plugin is. if i tell the visitors of my site to download the plugin i want to be sure that it won't crash their computers and that it can't be used to breach into their computers (i'm asking this as flash has had some trouble with its safety because of buffer-overfloating or something like that :roll: )

btw: blender rocks!!! i can't believe it's free :D 8)

joeri

Postby joeri » Fri Jan 31, 2003 5:04 pm

one thing i'm missing is the ability to load parts of the movie later than others, so the visitor doesn't have to load the entire site at once (what you can do in flash using the "loadMovie" command). is there something like that in blender, or can it be scripted?

Well you can jump to another html page.
And you can make your own loading animation.

another question is how save the plugin is. if i tell the visitors of my site to download the plugin i want to be sure that it won't crash their computers and that it can't be used to breach into their computers (i'm asking this as flash has had some trouble with its safety because of buffer-overfloating or something like that )

The plugin is very save, some really "FreeBsd" security freaks took a good look at it and made a save python for the plugin.

Take a good look at
http://www.blender.org/modules/document ... nfunc.html
to learn more about how the plugin works.

Nice (hidden) link:
http://www.blender3d.org/BlenderProduct ... igners.php

-Joeri

affirmative

yes, Blender needs this. But also, how about SVG ?

Postby affirmative » Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:53 pm

Writing Flash format files is difficult. I think the last time this was done with Blender involved a convoluted process using a Python-to-ActiveX bridge. It was a bore to set-up & would be unlikely to work now. Still, Flash is the internet's most popular vector-graphics format.
An easier way, if all one wants to do is display vector graphics of 3d objects, would be to write a script to export SVG http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Overview.htm8 (Scalable Vector Graphics) which is a really simple human-readable XML format. Writing such a script would be quite easy and the results would be viewable with the Adobe SVG Viewer http://www.adobe.com/svg/.
One way or the other I agree that Blender will achieve greater popularity were it to offer Flash or SVG export without fuss. It really requires Blender to use a sort of toon-shading-to-vectors method because otherwise one has to do hidden-line removal and all that stuff. Also, the resulting SWF or SVG files would be large if all Blender did were export each frame afresh. What it should do is define how lines and curves should transform over time in the resulting file.
I'd write it myself if i had the time, but I haven't. [/url][/b]

schnapsten

Postby schnapsten » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:00 am

Man!
Today I remembered that opened-source-blender-browser plugin!
Is it still alive?
Anyone heard anything but this about it?
Is it in gentoo?

Return to “Interactive 3d”