Blender in Biology

An open space where people who use Blender in an academic environment can share progress and the typical problems and needs of academic environments.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

MonZop

Blender in Biology

Postby MonZop » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:02 pm

The group at the Institute of Clinical physiology of the National Research Council in Pisa, Italy, has been working with Blender for 1.5 years now, working primarily on two aspects of cellular visualization:
the elaboration of protein motion using the Game engine and
the use of special effects for the representation of chemical and physical properties of biological molecules.

We have been able to make a 3 minutes movie, and have presented both the movie and some details of its making during the Blender Conference 2009 and 2008.

Most of our work is presently carried out through scripting, however on the top of the todo list is the preparation of an interface that will enable both Blender users and biologists to make your own molecular movie.

On our website it is possible to see the movies, to read and download the papers (readable formats of the Blender presentation and published papers, when they will be accepted in scientific journals) and to download scenes containing molecules and scripts .

Comments and suggestions are welcome

Monica

saintmirage

Postby saintmirage » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:10 pm

I am glad to see that other programs are making their way in the biological and medical field. I am a biology major and it is nice to see a way to further thinking and creativity through Blender's service. I like to see advancement. Finally

-Saint
Saint Mirage

Return to “Academic & Research”