A couple of Ideas ( please shoot down if needed )

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

guitargeek

A couple of Ideas ( please shoot down if needed )

Postby guitargeek » Thu May 15, 2003 4:49 am

Here are a 2 things that would be nice / cool for the coders to consider. I am a programmer (unfortunately with not enough time to join the blender development ...right now :wink: ) and they don't seem like extrememly hard things to implement (Although I have not looked at the source code yet, so I may be talking out my wazoo)

If I have either missed them or they are dumb ideas, feel free to flame me.

1. Now that there is a right click menu in text editor, could 'execute script' be added to that menu?

2. Dialog box for save before quitting. I know this is almost as bad as undo, but most pieces of software do this and it becomes like second nature to get a chance to save before quitting.

ideasman

Postby ideasman » Thu May 15, 2003 6:19 am

I agree, and Iwould think that these would both be easy to impliment, and not bloat etc.

You have my vote.

hanzo

Postby hanzo » Sat May 17, 2003 5:55 am

hmm :idea: both seam like swell idea's to me..

mouse

Postby mouse » Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:51 am

IMHO,
#1 might be OK, but I actually don't like #2.
I like most parts of the Blender interface the way it is, and actually would be sorry to see it become more newbie-friendly.
Seriously, a lot of the time, I'm glad that Blender doesn't have a save before exit dialog.

-Just my opinion-

matt_e

Postby matt_e » Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:27 am

re. #2, Blender saves automatically at every quit. Look for the file quit.blend (in your temp directory I think).

Mats78

Postby Mats78 » Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:23 am

huh..?!... no quit.blend files for me at least. I can't find anything like that, just the usual 76354.blend stuff.

Anyhow I'm a little against the dialog at quit too. One of the more irritating things about win-style apps is their questioning of everything. If I want to quit, I really do want to quit =) No questions, please. Of course this isn't that bad - I can see it could be usefull, so maybe it could again be an option.

Mats

OcularMagic

Postby OcularMagic » Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:26 pm

I like both ideas. As far as number two goes, the dialog box could pop up the first time you run the app with a checkbox for "Don't ever ask me this again."

ideasman

Postby ideasman » Sun Jun 15, 2003 5:57 am

broken wrote:re. #2, Blender saves automatically at every quit. Look for the file quit.blend (in your temp directory I think).

This feature could end up being more trouble then its worth.

My latest project was 15 meg in filesize, If I was working off a zip disk, rewriteable cdrom or slow network blender would: a) Take ages so save the file that I have already saved anyway or b) Run out of space on the filesystem.

2c

Return to “Interface & Tools”