Looking for help working with proteins in Blender

An open space where people who use Blender in an academic environment can share progress and the typical problems and needs of academic environments.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

rdoherty

Looking for help working with proteins in Blender

Postby rdoherty » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:52 pm

Hi, I have a couple questions related to working with protein models in Blender.

I'm having trouble importing a VRML97 file of a surface representation of a protein created using Chimera. The colours of the surface mesh doesn't load properly.

Also, can someone explain how to properly UV unwrap the colours of a protein? Is the same procedure done when unwrapping a protein regardless of representation (ie. surface representation, ribbon representation, stick-ball representation)?

Let me know if you'd like me to further explain my questions..

Thanks,

Ryan

ralucutza

Postby ralucutza » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:38 pm

Hi Ryan,

try to import .wrl files exported from PyMOL. The vertex colours are imported properly.

Raluca

rdoherty

Postby rdoherty » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:20 pm

Hi, I see the texture on the protein.. is there a way to generate a UV unwrapped image from the surface (or ribbon) colours?

Ryan

ralucutza

Postby ralucutza » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:39 pm

Hi!
- Assign a material to the object and enable VColPaint and Shadeless;
- Unwrapp the object;
- In the UV Editor, create an image to bake the colours to;
- In the Render button, in the Bake tab enable Textures and then press BAKE.

Raluca

grahamj

Re: Looking for help working with proteins in Blender

Postby grahamj » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:32 am

rdoherty wrote:Hi, I have a couple questions related to working with protein models in Blender.

I'm having trouble importing a VRML97 file of a surface representation of a protein created using Chimera. The colours of the surface mesh doesn't load properly....

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi Ryan,
A little late, but for other people interested, you can generate molecular models with all types of proper color-coding (including ones like color-per-residue that require a plugin for PyMOL) directly in Blender using our lab's plugin ePMV (the embedded Python Molecular Viewer). Here is a link for overview, download, and install instructions.
http://epmv.scripps.edu

You can also use http://bioblender.eu to generate molecular models and sophisticated animations for forcefields, etc.

Return to “Academic & Research”