Blender 2.5 Smoke; crash at domain set

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

keffertjuh

Postby keffertjuh » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:06 pm

Well for my videocard I especially requested for OpenGL after finding on the web that very few had it integrated into them...(might I have been looking at older videocards? Nah I'm pretty sure everything you'll find nowadays is the newer stuff, I looked for specific qualities which matched in price with most)

Anywho...w/e you go ahead and assist from here on...I feel like I am no longer really contributing here :P
May the LOL be with you!!!!

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:47 am

Did you follow a tutorial or just winged it?

Winged it. thats what i typically do cause i usually dont find tutorials that really help me with any of my problems.

on another note i deleted blender and went back to the download page. i noticed that i overlooked the little note at the bottom of the windows downloader... it says that blender requires visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistribution Package. when i searched for it on my comp i found out i have Visual C++ 2005 do you think this could be a possible cause to my problem? :? im getting desperate for a solution

stiv

Postby stiv » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:13 am

Winged it. thats what i typically do cause i usually dont find tutorials that really help me with any of my problems.

Tutorials can certainly be slow, especially the video ones. But an occasional peak at a user's guide or reference manual just might save you a lot of time.

i found out i have Visual C++ 2005 do you think this could be a possible cause to my problem?

Which problem are we on now? I've kinda sorta lost track.

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:38 am

Which problem are we on now? I've kinda sorta lost track.

The problem never changed, simply the possible solutions we've been talking about have changed....Blender crashes as soon as a "smoke domain" is created. and its only the Smoke domain, the fluid system works just fine which is confusing me like crazy.

at one point i thought it was an issue in the smoke python file so i brought up the code topic, then i mentioned the C++ thing i found on the download page because i noticed my version is different then the one the note on blender calls for...at this point im just trying to think of anything that could lead to a solution. are you back on track now?

heck ive even gone as far as to mention this on the v2.5 bug tracker but due to the nature of the problem its become impossible to get any help there since i have no way to supply them with the specific info they are looking for :/

stiv

Postby stiv » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:42 pm

at this point im just trying to think of anything that could lead to a solution. are you back on track now?

Ah, the OpenGL problems. Answers are earlier in the thread.

If you need help updating video drivers and adjusting display settings you might ask on a forum specific to your operating system.

keffertjuh

Postby keffertjuh » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:51 pm

We're past that point...he did that already...

Wheels is out of ideas, I guess :P

keffertjuh

Postby keffertjuh » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:52 pm

Wheels wrote:
Did you follow a tutorial or just winged it?

on another note i deleted blender and went back to the download page. i noticed that i overlooked the little note at the bottom of the windows downloader... it says that blender requires visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistribution Package. when i searched for it on my comp i found out i have Visual C++ 2005 do you think this could be a possible cause to my problem? :? im getting desperate for a solution

Might wanna re-read this one here...he meant this stuff...

BTW my advice; update anything that is outdated (long enough) because it can almost only be better than the previous version :P

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:44 am

(smacks head on desk)

alright i guess im done posting for now,since i thought it was obvious by now all the earlier suggestions posted have failed for me. i see now im obviously not gonna find a solution. oh well, guess ill hold out till the stabilized version finally comes out and hope that solves the issue.

cya around.

stiv

Postby stiv » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:34 am

i thought it was obvious by now all the earlier suggestions posted have failed for me.

I was under the impression you were unable to figure out or find out how to implement the previous suggestions. If you have actually done those things (compositing window manager off, update vid. driver from manufacturer, adjust display depth and hardware accel.), AND you are using Blender 2.5x, there are some drawing settings under UserPrefs you can play with.

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:52 am

ok well good to see we're on the same page finally...

well i Am on 2.5x and i have tried all of the earlier suggestions...none of them applied to me because i already had my comp up to date with the settings suggested and everything. ive also tried changing the Draw Method settings in the user preferences of blender which i assume is what your talking about and that didnt help, but im willing to listen to any other suggestions you might have. maybe theres a setting i overlooked.

guess im not goin anywhere after all lol. ok so if you have some suggestions lets hear them...

keffertjuh

Postby keffertjuh » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:29 pm

BTW while we're troubleshooting...

I get a blender 2.5 crash at pretty much half the renders I do and at some (bigger) setting changes...

Any way to reduce the amount of crash? (render related, mostly)

stiv

Postby stiv » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:43 pm

Render-related crashes are often from running out of memory. You will see error mgs in the console about 'calloc returns nil' or similar along with the size of the failed memory request.

mupar

Postby mupar » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:05 am

every thread helps -- I tried the suggestions and tweaked my video card settings and so far no crashes with updated blender 2. 5

thanks, mupar

sterlingtrust

Postby sterlingtrust » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:11 am

stiv wrote:Render-related crashes are often from running out of memory. You will see error mgs in the console about 'calloc returns nil' or similar along with the size of the failed memory request.

I have seen the memory issue come up before. At least someone recognizes it and is addressing it at some level.

Thanks stiv!

RavenWhitehawk

Error Message: "Your GFX Card does not Support.....&quo

Postby RavenWhitehawk » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:52 pm

Error Message: "Your GFX Card Does Not Support 3D View Smoke Drawing"

Well here I am Trying to Learn Blender 2.5, I love it by the way, I am having a blast playing with it.

Anyway the Problem I am having is that my NVidia Quadro4 700 Graphics Card - (I know it is an older Graphics Card, and I am Pretty sure I have updated Drivers for it.) - does not Support 3d view Smoke Drawing.

Well I would like to upgrade the Graphics Card but I am Not sure which of the many Graphics Cards does indeed Support 3d View Smoke Drawing. Any Suggestions would be Greatly Appreciated.

By the Way, for this computer it uses PCI Graphics Cards

On the Computer that I built for Gaming, Which the Motherboard is Fried, I intend to replace it in the near future. I can use PCI-E Graphics Cards. Any Suggestions for a PCI-E Graphics Card That does support 3d View Smoke Drawing, would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks for your time,
RavenWhitehawk
May the Gods and Goddess' Bless thee with Eternal Love and Light.

Return to “Testing Builds”