Sintel logo/indentity

Discussions and feedback around the Open Projects such as Orange (Elephants Dream), Peach (Big Buck Bunny), Apricot (Yo Frankie!)...

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ton
Site Admin

Sintel logo/indentity

Postby ton » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:29 pm

Hi everyone,

Here's another call for community involvement... we need a good quality text+logo for the film. We checked on some initial ideas, like the Sintel text in the header of durian.blender.org, combining it with the main symbol in the film, the dragon tree emblem. But it didn't work out well. I also think a 3D extruded logo is too cheesy or cheap. We can do better!

Here's the simple briefing:

Design a 2D stylized logo, which fits well on film posters (on top of graphics), on a DVD cover, but also on tee shirts. The logo should have at least the text "Sintel", optionally with other visual elements. Font type and capitalization is free.
Deliver the logo in SVG vector format (use Inkscape!).
Use the open project forum for posting designs and for reviews!
You will keep all rights on the designs you publish, but you agree to transfer copyright to Blender Foundation if we choose your design.
On april 28th we might make and announce a choice, maybe later.
Check the Big Buck Bunny logo for example. It's a strong visual that works in many situations very well. The 'flat' 2D nature of the logo makes it stand out well on top of 3D graphics as well.

What's not going to be used:
- 3D extruded logos or text
- Designs that have the Blender logo in it, or versions of the Blender logo, or something resembling any other logo!

Reviews will be done by everyone of the Durian team, here. Colin's and David's opinions weight a lot, and I will make the final decision. The designer we select will get a prominent credit, and a free Blender Conference ticket + dinner and three nights in a good hotel in Amsterdam!

Thanks,

-Ton-

(BTW: there's a teaser/trailer being worked on now, that's why the short deadline...)

tildebyte

Re: Sintel logo/indentity

Postby tildebyte » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:20 pm

Will you want a color version for posters/DVD/etc. and a B&W version for t-shirts/newspaper/other? What scale range is needed? Probably from "business card" size, i.e. ~2in across up to "poster" size, i.e. ~8-10 inches across...

Also, just to clarify the point for those who come after me, I assume that all fonts and other elements must be either one's own creation entirely, or free and open (probably Creative Commons licensed). The Red Hat Liberation fonts come to mind...

ton wrote:Hi everyone,
Here's another call for community involvement... we need a good quality text+logo for the film. We checked on some initial ideas, like the Sintel text in the header of durian.blender.org, combining it with the main symbol in the film, the dragon tree emblem. But it didn't work out well. I also think a 3D extruded logo is too cheesy or cheap. We can do better!

wdesigner_br

Postby wdesigner_br » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:36 pm

ton wrote:Hi everyone,

... deadline...)

I can help! :)

ton
Site Admin

Postby ton » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:40 pm

tildebyte wrote:Will you want a color version for posters/DVD/etc. and a B&W version for t-shirts/newspaper/other? What scale range is needed? Probably from "business card" size, i.e. ~2in across up to "poster" size, i.e. ~8-10 inches across...

Also, just to clarify the point for those who come after me, I assume that all fonts and other elements must be either one's own creation entirely, or free and open (probably Creative Commons licensed). The Red Hat Liberation fonts come to mind...

Color and B&W version would be preferred. If it only works with colors we'll seriously check on it though... B&W is not a final requirement.

Size will go indeed from bizz cards to wall sized posters.

Bardes

Postby Bardes » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:51 pm

Here is a simple version in B&W:
(click to enlarge)
Works good in any size and can easily be used in T-shirts... :)

P.S.:I know its a .png but I have the .svg here 8)
Last edited by Bardes on Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

ward7299@yahoo.com

Postby ward7299@yahoo.com » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:56 pm

Here's my design, a dragon head silhouette with stylized text

the svg: http://www.davidallenward.com/blender_files/sintel/sintel_logo_ward7299.svg

thanks for the opportunity to help out! :)

Ruddy

Postby Ruddy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:01 pm

Hi,

http://www.box.net/shared/6hue72bsml

Curvy characters were used as they remind both reptilians and also old civilization like the celts (cf. irish ornament). It also conveys a "twisted" feeling (about the baddies?")
Moreover, the letters appearance can be made more natural via whirlwind of snow in the first scene. In order to give more harmony, the L letter can be made as very similar from a symmetric point of view from the I one...

Finally, most flows in natures are curvy, so this can represent convective movement above hot surfaces (cinder) by making them glow with a red color..

The T letter shape was made to make it replaceable by the dragon tree logo.

Cheers and congratulation again about your work!
Last edited by Ruddy on Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Buteo

Postby Buteo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:30 pm

Hi everyone,

here is my suggestion(B/W only):

It's done in Inkscape. The shading is done with its comic filter.
SVG-Version: http://birspent.de/sintelLogo/logo2.svg
"Alpha": http://birspent.de/sintelLogo/logo.svg

You are free to advance/fix it.

Bye,
Buteo

Brazucka

Fredy Martins

Postby Brazucka » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:02 pm

Here´s my contribution. It is a quite simple abstraction of a Drangon´s head, plus a custom Sintel´s logo. Hope you like it. Btw, how should I send the svg file?

Gbye!
:P

Last edited by Brazucka on Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

tildebyte

Postby tildebyte » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:07 pm

First cut. I need to think about color, and the type is DEFINITELY a placeholder - I need a different font, and I'm not entirely sure where the name should go. My style tends to be *very* graphic and sparse, so I still need to push myself to come up with more detail.

I won't do a long explanation; if it doesn't stand on its own, I phail. I will say I tried to get some suggestion of "tree" and "dragon" (wings?), while avoiding "mushroom", which was hard :P

Pencil sketch to iPhone to gmail to Inkscape trace to png. Hi-tech++ :D

Small png:

Large png:

dronn

sintel logo

Postby dronn » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:24 pm

HizaRo

Dragon's head and sword logo by HizaRo

Postby HizaRo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:59 pm

This is my contribution to the logo.
Basic concept of the dragon's head and sword.

Hopefully this is the best choice:) Thanks.

-Hiza-

Donwload SVG :arrow:

Here the others logo:

example:
Last edited by HizaRo on Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.

orihimetaichou

My Sintel logo

Postby orihimetaichou » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:23 pm

latheix

Postby latheix » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:13 am

Hy, here is my proposition:

The svg file : http://pagesperso-orange.fr/lechat56/divers/dragon_sintel.svg

Edit : some modifications and new suggestion.

The svg file : http://pagesperso-orange.fr/lechat56/divers/dragon_sintel2.svg
Last edited by latheix on Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

tildebyte

Re: Dragon's head and sword logo by HizaRo

Postby tildebyte » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:14 am

@ HizaRo:

Big +1 on this. I may stop working on mine :D

Two crits:
1) The 'E' is rather hard to read, and I think will only be worse at very small sizes
2) The hilt of the sword is a little messy, which is not too big a deal, but, again, you need to think about how it will look very large and very small. At small sizes, it will just look kind of fuzzy...

Also, try exporting as a png at about 200 px wide and see how well the detail in the dragon's head holds up. I *think* it'll be ok, but I'd check to make sure.

HizaRo wrote:This is my contribution to the logo.
Basic concept of the dragon's head and sword.

Hopefully this is the best choice:) Thanks.

-Hiza-
Last edited by tildebyte on Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Blender Open Projects”