MMB Rotate not working in Windows

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

chiefarchon

MMB Rotate not working in Windows

Postby chiefarchon » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:00 am

Hi

Ive seen a number of posts stating that the middle mouse button does not work in windows with regards to blender 2.5

I have not seen a single answer.

I am using windows vista.
I have a dual cpu and a 64 bit system.

my graphics card is NVidia GeForce 8800 GTX

I use dual monitors.

I have found the MMB rotate problem to exist in both the 32 and 64 bit versions of blender.

I am new to blender, having only started using it yesterday. but i'm not new to systems like C4D and Lightwave etc.

------------------------------
PS

please forgive me as I put this post in the wrong forum earlier. Many appologies.

Nikprodanov

Postby Nikprodanov » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:12 am

If it keeps panning no matter what you do in the keymap editor, see if "Emulate 3 Button mouse" is disabled (top left).

chiefarchon

Postby chiefarchon » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:48 am

Nikprodanov wrote:If it keeps panning no matter what you do in the keymap editor, see if "Emulate 3 Button mouse" is disabled (top left).

That box is ticked.

the middle mouse button is not registering at all, for anything.

but I can confirm that the MMB works just fine in all my other programs as well as my other CG programs.

Nikprodanov

Postby Nikprodanov » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:59 am

That's what i mean, it has to be unticked. "Emulate 3 button mouse" is for cases where there is no MMB like laptops etc...

chiefarchon

Postby chiefarchon » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:56 pm

Nikprodanov wrote:That's what i mean, it has to be unticked. "Emulate 3 button mouse" is for cases where there is no MMB like laptops etc...

OK Thanks

I have unticked it now but its still not working. I have also tried restarting the program after saving the defaults but still no luck.

Also the [alt]+LMB now is not working lol :P

Is there anything else that I could try?

ps

Thanks for your kind help

Nikprodanov

Postby Nikprodanov » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:56 pm

Hmm, try deleting the .B25.blend file in your .\.blender\ subfolder, this is where the settings are saved. By default, view rotation uses MMB - if it doesn't work it must be something with the mouse. And if you have one of those mice with a lot of buttons, you can try changing view3d.rotate in the keymap editor to Button 4 or 5 etc.

chiefarchon

Postby chiefarchon » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:26 pm

Nikprodanov wrote:Hmm, try deleting the .B25.blend file in your .\.blender\ subfolder, this is where the settings are saved. By default, view rotation uses MMB - if it doesn't work it must be something with the mouse. And if you have one of those mice with a lot of buttons, you can try changing view3d.rotate in the keymap editor to Button 4 or 5 etc.

I did that but it still didn't work and it wrote the files back.

I have noticed something else though: When I launch the Blender program, inside the command line window that launches it says:

Code: Select all

"ImportError: no module named _socket"

This is the last line that shows before the program opens. does this meen that it is not loading everything because it comes to an unexecutable file or something?

chiefarchon

Postby chiefarchon » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:36 pm

OK

Moved the whole blender program outside of Program Files(x86) and placed it directly into the C: folder.

the command window now reads:

Code: Select all

found bundled python: C:\BLENDE~1.5-A\.blender\python

mind you the MMB is still not working :(

Nikprodanov

Postby Nikprodanov » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:03 pm

Blender is a portable program so it works the same no matter where you put it/unzip it. The "bundled python" is usually a DLL in the main folder (python31.dll etc.) and it's a library used for stuff like running plugins and UI autogeneration.

Anyway, it might be something Vista/Win64 specific, i'm running 2.5 on 32bit windows and it's okay.

http://www.graphicall.org/builds/builds/download.php?id=1260&file=1261_blender25-win64-28383.7z&op=coun

Try this recent Win64 build and see if it works. If it doesn't, then you can do a test if it really isn't a keymap conflict thing. Select the default cube and press G to grab it. While it's grabbed, hold down MMB to see if it will do axis-restriction. If it works then it probably has something to do with a keymap conflict.

In the end if it turns out to be a bug you can submit a bugreport to the devs and they'll take a look at it.

chiefarchon

Postby chiefarchon » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:56 pm

that file has extention .7z and windows doesn't know what to do with it.

niether do I lol :P

Nikprodanov

Postby Nikprodanov » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:00 am

That's 7zip... http://www.7-zip.org/ IZarc can open it too.

chiefarchon

Postby chiefarchon » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:54 pm

Thanks ever so much.

Its working now :D

Kinematocraft

Postby Kinematocraft » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:44 am

I had the same problem and got it working by deleting the mouse-specific drivers for my mouse in control panel->programs and features.

There's an hour of my life I'll never get back.

I don't know if it's bug in the program or not, but Blender might not work well with mouse drivers beyond the generic ones.

(I run Windows 7 x64 with a Trust GM-4200 Gamer Mouse Optical.)

Kinematocraft

Postby Kinematocraft » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:52 am

Oh, I restarted Blender and hit File->Load Factory Settings, too, after deleting the drivers. Before that it wouldn't work, but I'd been screwing around with the keymappings while trying to fix the problem, so that might have had something to do with it.

stonewood

Re: MMB Rotate not working in Windows

Postby stonewood » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:38 pm

Hi I had the same problem using window 7 pc.

i solved problem by going to control panel-mouse settings-on mouse properties there is a section to change to change settings to enable program-specific settings i set this to Blender and i changed my middle button function to ALT when using this program.

It works as follows:-1.Wheel only=Zoom in and Out 2.Ctrl+Wheel=Left to right 3.Ctrl+Alt+Wheel=360 spin 4.Alt+Shift=Pan.

hope this helps

cheers Mark

Return to “Interface & Tools”