Blender for Architects/Architecture?

Discussions and feedback around the Open Projects such as Orange (Elephants Dream), Peach (Big Buck Bunny), Apricot (Yo Frankie!)...

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

c-c-m

Blender for Architects/Architecture?

Postby c-c-m » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:28 am

Hello,

First of all my apollogies if I used the wrong forum, I'm new and I don't know if this is the best place to post.

I'm an architect that used to use 3D Studio to model and render building 3D models, (like many architects do). Since I support and use as much as I can all the opensoruce software, I was interested in learning Blender, which I have to admit I have not achieved yet (and now that I've read new 2.5 version will change interface I don't know if I should start or wait till it's over). As far as I have seen Blender seems to be focused to designers, animation movies and gaming, but not architecture (maybe I'm wrong), although Blender results are very very good and it can turn into a serious competitor to the software that has been used in architecture for some time (3D Studio, Cinema 4D, Artlantis... and now sketchup or BIM software)

So, to sum up, my question is if there's a group that "investigates" or works on this issue, and if so, I would like to know how can I collaborate (I'm not a programmer at all, only a user -and not yet proficient in 3D models-) . And if not, I would like to know if there's a group of people interested in creating such a thing.

Regards

SirDude

Postby SirDude » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:21 pm

There are quite a few people that use blender in that way.
A good link is:
http://blender-archi.tuxfamily.org/Main_Page

If you do a google search for blender architecture you'll get more.
(You'll also get some links on how blender is designed but you can
easily weed those out)

c-c-m

Postby c-c-m » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:46 pm

Thank you SirDude for the link.

SirDude wrote:There are quite a few people that use blender in that way.

That's my point: there are many architects in the world that work with 3D models, but yet a few who use Blender for this purpose despite it looks evident that Blender would work more than fine to achieve it, and despite it has many benefits that no other soft can offer, such as being open-source and multi-plattform. Why then hasn't been successfull in this field? Maybe because of the interface, completely different to what we -architects- are used to use, but version 2.5 is going to remedy that; maybe because of a lack of certain features that would be useful for our jobs... That was my question and that's why I was asking if there are other architects here with whom it would be possible to share oppinions and benefit this great piece of software.

Regards

woody730b

Yep

Postby woody730b » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:19 am

There are a plethora of books on-line and in stores that discuss the blender user interface and its use in architecture. I would have to say "Blender Essentials" book is the one book you really should get. I've gone through all of the tutorials, and I still use it every day.

studioa

Postby studioa » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:50 am

c-c-m wrote:Thank you SirDude for the link.

SirDude wrote:There are quite a few people that use blender in that way.

That's my point: there are many architects in the world that work with 3D models, but yet a few who use Blender for this purpose despite it looks evident that Blender would work more than fine to achieve it, and despite it has many benefits that no other soft can offer, such as being open-source and multi-plattform. Why then hasn't been successfull in this field? Maybe because of the interface, completely different to what we -architects- are used to use, but version 2.5 is going to remedy that; maybe because of a lack of certain features that would be useful for our jobs... That was my question and that's why I was asking if there are other architects here with whom it would be possible to share oppinions and benefit this great piece of software.

Regards

c-c-m,
we use Blender almost 100% for modeling all architectural projects in my studio. I'm an architect and I used while working for larger companies formZ, Max, LightWave, C4D, etc. but since I started my practice I slowly moved to Open Source / Freeware. I managed to develop an "assembly line" from initial concept to production drawings for architecture, using these packages. If you want we can discuss about using Blender + Yaf(a)ray/LuxRender. _a_

scyg

Postby scyg » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:11 am

Here's a very useful tutorial for using Blender for architectural rendering. At the bottom of that one, there's a link to another about more exact modeling.

http://yorik.uncreated.net/tutorials/ar ... ender.html

BTW, the 2.4 Blender interface is excellent once you get used to it. Really worlds better than Maya (I speak from experience). The only downside is the lack of decent NURBS capability, if you're into blobitecture, which I'm not.

dphantom

Postby dphantom » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am

Hello everyone

Just leaving a mark here to, your not alone!
I am also an architect and have been using 3D Studio Max Professionally for a few years now for architecture visualization.
I started playing with Blender about one year ago, and after learning it and seeing the new features 2.5 has to offer i think i am ready to start making my transition to open source.

In many ways blender is still lacking features for architects like Nurbs and Nurbs Boolean operations, and precision modeling tools. But 2.5 certainly corrects a lot of missing features like indirect illumination, interface, materials etc...
And scyg was right even the 2.4 interface is excellent if you take the time to learn it, far better and more efficient than 3Ds Max (I too speak from experience)
| PHANTOM |

Return to “Blender Open Projects”