Help Intstalling blender Alpha2 on Ubuntu 10.04-

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

thru2trot

Help Intstalling blender Alpha2 on Ubuntu 10.04-

Postby thru2trot » Sat May 15, 2010 7:36 pm

Hello all,

I am trying to install blender 2.5 Alpha2 along side version 2.49b on Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Linux, and launch it from the terminal just like the 2.49b version that I installed using Linux's Synaptic Package Manager. This time, however I want to install it from source because the Blender 2.5 Alpha2 version is not available in the synaptic package manager. So I downloaded the tar source file which reads :

blender-2.5-alpha2-linux-glibc27-i686.tar.bz2

into my downloads folder. And then, in the Terminal, went to the Downloads directory:

Code: Select all

cd ~/Downloads

then typed:

tar jxvf blender-2.5-alpha2-linux-glibc27-i686.tar.bz2 -C ~/source

Now, the instructions that I found in the source file after unpacking simply reads:

Linux, FreeBSD, Irix, Solaris: Unpack the distribution, copy the .blender directory from it to your home directory. Then run the Blender executable.
Install scripts by putting them in the .blender/scripts inside your home folder.

I did find the .blender file as stated in the above instructions in the source folder after I unpacked the software into the source directory in my HOME directory, however upon trying to copy it to my HOME directory, I received errors due to the fact that the .blender file already exists from my previous 2.49b install.

Now, in the Ubuntu book that I'm reading it says that the instructions above should have stated how to compile and install the software and that typically, the procedure to compile source code is as follows:

./configure

and that this command runs a script to check whether all dependencies are met and the build environment is correct. It then says to run:

make

in order to compile the software, and finally, run:

sudo make install

My only question is in coming from a Mac background, On Mac OSX version 10.6, I have 2 different versions of blender installed on the same operating system naturally in 2 different directories so that they don't conflict. I just want to the same in Ubuntu 10.04.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

freesparks

Return to “Testing Builds”