Blender 2.5 Smoke; crash at domain set

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

keffertjuh

Blender 2.5 Smoke; crash at domain set

Postby keffertjuh » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:40 pm

I'm trying one of the not too old tutorials made by Andrew Price about making a realitistic fire...Link:
http://blenderguru.com/wp-content/uploads/Exclusive/Creating_Realistic_Fire_in_Blender.pdf
(It should get you a pdf file, I'm not sure if there is an online version as well, got this one by 'membership'-mail...

Anywho...At the point where I tell the cube to be a domain it doesnt want to and Blender crashes...

I've already tried using the latest available optimised version on graphicall.org, but it didn't keep that occurance from happening again...

So....Anybody?
May the LOL be with you!!!!

stiv

Postby stiv » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:32 pm

using the latest available optimised version

The first thing to try is NOT using an optimized version. With optimized builds, you are not only suffering from flags like -ffast-math that should not be turned on, but you are also at the mercy of unsafe compiler optimizations. Just say no.

keffertjuh

Postby keffertjuh » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:46 pm

I've already tried the regular blender.org version, if it matter....should I get a test build then, or perhaps alpha 1?

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Tue May 25, 2010 10:50 pm

Wow ive got a pretty similar situation if not the exact same one. Im using blender 2.5.2 r27226. As soon as i try to create a domain blender crashes and i get a message saying "Blender.exe has stopped working". one of the guys from the bug tracker site recommended that i try the same thing you did with trying a newer version but the same thing happened, i tried this twice, once with a regular version and again with an optimized version. The updated versions didnt fix anything. Then a couple days ago this tech savvy guy suggested maybe it was a problem with the video card but im not tech savvy so i wouldnt feel to good messing with that. Anybody else think it might be a video card issue? Also i can safely say that this bug is restricted to the "Smoke Simulator" because for whatever reason i can create "Fluid simulator" domains with no problem, and also if i turn off the "Realtime Display" button I can safely make domains but i cant preview my smoke in the viewport which is what i need. Hope someone out there finds a solution for this soon.

P.S. I apologize if this message seemed a little long winded, i dont post in forums often.

stiv

Postby stiv » Wed May 26, 2010 12:40 am

Then a couple days ago this tech savvy guy suggested maybe it was a problem with the video card ... Anybody else think it might be a video card issue?

/me raises his hand for this reason:
i can create "Fluid simulator" domains with no problem, and also if i turn off the "Realtime Display" button I can safely make domains but i cant preview my smoke in the viewport which is what i need.

Usual hints about bad OpenGL support apply:

Update video driver from manufacturers site

Turn off compositing window managers

Turn down hardware acceleration

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Wed May 26, 2010 5:54 am

Usual hints about bad OpenGL support apply:

Update video driver from manufacturers site

Turn off compositing window managers

Turn down hardware acceleration[/quote]

Ok sounds like someone might finally be able to help but heres the deal... remember in my post i also said that I was not tech savvy like the dude that originally told me about the driver possibility? so i hate to say this but u might wanna try explaining the compositing window manager and hardware acceleration thing as if u were speaking to a child :/ also i have looked at my driver and the update available for it seems to be out of date and i dont wanna end up sending it into a older version of itself.

Thanks for the suggestions

keffertjuh

:D

Postby keffertjuh » Wed May 26, 2010 11:21 am

I'm still here too, and I have been very busy with school works, so I really didn't have the energy to put much time into Blender, but I know the problem is still there...

Also, it might not even matter, but I have a graphic card that supports openGL (specifically requested it when I got my computer)...

And about those given solutions...I'd like to see them explained in a simplified way as well...I'm not much of a computer geek and because the terms are in English I'm not sure what they're exactly aiming at (sadly enough, I understand everything in English but troubleshooting with computers because I got my computer set at my native language [so my dad or a repairman here would understand everything, I normally prefer English myself])

BTW wheels, maybe for a better way to post I can suggest using small paragraphs in stead of one big paragraph? :P

OK that'll be it then :D

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Thu May 27, 2010 2:12 am

hahaha thanks ill try to keep that suggestion in mind. well ill keep this one short :) now im lookin around my computer like a crazy man trying to find out where those 2 steps are at :/

ok ive managed to figure out where to go to turn down hardware acceleration but it says my current display driver does not allow changes to be made to hardware acceleration settings and the button is greyed out. so im guessing that that option is out of the question. now im just trying to learn about the (compisiting window manager) he mentioned.

stiv

Postby stiv » Thu May 27, 2010 3:56 am

It is hard to give specific advice without knowing what platform you are running on.

Drivers:
Usually you get them from the video manufacturer's website. Installing them is left as an exercise for the reader.

Compositing window managers:
Again, platform specific. Aero on Windows, compiz or kde4 desktop effects on Linux, no idea about OSX.

Hardware acceleration settings:
Set via whatever program or tool your operating system provides. The Control Panel on Windows, it depends on Linux. Yeah, it's platform specific. Are you surprised?

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Thu May 27, 2010 4:49 am

ok u need some specs? easy enough. i use windows vista 32bit. i already found the place where i "should" be able to change the graphics acceleration but for some reason it says my display driver does not allow changes to be made to the acceleration settings and the button is greyed out.

also i "think" i found the window manager u mentioned...dwm.exe? but based on the amount of memory it uses (just over 1000kb with blender and aol running together) it doesnt seem like it would be worth it to shut this down. actually i read somewhere that that can just be worse cause it would add the strain it takes off the hard drive back onto it.

so....im at a loss for ideas....you got anymore? :D lol
OH! and no im not surprised at all....im not (tech savvy) meaning i wont be saving my computer from the "blue screen of death" if it occurs but i do understand some basic concepts...Surprised??? lol :P

stiv

Postby stiv » Thu May 27, 2010 5:22 am

The window manager manages the windows on your display. You don't want to shut it down, you just want to turn off the Aero theme

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Thu May 27, 2010 5:25 am

ok any chance you can explain how i do that? ive never dealt with that before

Oh and on a previous topic you brought up... how do i know wheather my driver supports "OpenGL"? if theres even a way to check...just thought id look into that since i remember u mentioning that earlier.

keffertjuh

Postby keffertjuh » Thu May 27, 2010 10:15 am

openGL isn't a necessity as far as I know...it's just a way of computing that allows faster processing...

also, if it matters that much, windows 7 32bit here...I think the stuff you'll find in that are pretty much the same as in Vista, just reorganied...

also, and I think I have already said this, my card supports openGL...

But, what my problem is...it used to run the smoke simulator just fine as I recall, up to a certain point where it suddenly started crashing every time no matter what I tried...

stiv

Postby stiv » Thu May 27, 2010 4:23 pm

ok any chance you can explain how i do that? ive never dealt with that before

Display settings are in the Control Panel. Sorry, can't do better than that. Maybe ask on a windows forum or look at windows documentation. Google is your friend.

openGL isn't a necessity as far as I know...it's just a way of computing that allows faster processing..

OpenGL is an open standard for drawing 3D graphics. It is used for applications that run on multiple operating systems. (DirectX is similar but owned by Microsoft and Windows specific).

OpenGL is only necessary if you want to run Blender or other cross-platform apps.

A half-way decent video card & driver will give you hardware acclerated 3D. Drivers from the video card manufacturer are preferred since Microsoft OpenGL support tends to be marginal. As always, your mileage may vary.

keffertjuh

Postby keffertjuh » Thu May 27, 2010 5:40 pm

pfff lots of stuff to deal with...

well, as soon as I know if I graduated I'll look into everything that has been said in this topic and find out what to do...

Return to “Testing Builds”