background reference

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

rattlehead

background reference

Postby rattlehead » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:48 am

I believe this is the right forum. I am still learning Blender, but I just downloaded the new alpha2 and installed it, because the layout seems so much better. Plus, some of the tutorials I've seen use it and I want to be able to follow along. (Plus, why learn the old system?)

The problem I am having is that I can't seem to load a reference .png as a background image. I am able to select and load the image without error, it just never displays.

I have spent three hours on this problem tonight, so let me rule out some things from the get-go:

- It doesn't matter whether it is in ortho/persp view.
- It doesn't matter whether full/windowed operation.
- Yes, all the options for the bg image are correct (ie transparency, size, etc.) and playing with the values does nothing.
- I tried inserting a mesh plane, and changing the bg image on that.
- The image in question loaded fine as a bg image in Blender 2.49. (which i already uninstalled)

Any ideas?

rattlehead

how lame is this?

Postby rattlehead » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:06 pm

I am trying to learn Blender - which even you "pros" admit is a steep learning curve. I am running into an extremely simple problem... placing a reference image so I can retrace a logo - my first project. Placing the image was easy in Blender .49; I did it several times. But when I switched to alpha2... it seems impossible.

Now I can confirm that the Linux version has the same problem, I installed alpha2 on Ubuntu Lucid and it won't display a reference image either. The previous version, installed through the repos worked fine.

So, I sit and wait. I can't even begin my first project. I have to sit and wait while a team of experts can't even answer something simple like placing a background image? Surely one of you out there somewhere has some idea what is wrong...?

Return to “Testing Builds”