Texture Prob

Discussions and feedback around the Open Projects such as Orange (Elephants Dream), Peach (Big Buck Bunny), Apricot (Yo Frankie!)...

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

zooneyboy

Texture Prob

Postby zooneyboy » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:22 pm

When i texture my gun (has 5026 faces) the texture shows up on the inside. i can see through the outside and into the inside. i have no idea what to do.

Omar_Ramirez

Re: Texture Prob

Postby Omar_Ramirez » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:58 pm

zooneyboy wrote:When i texture my gun (has 5026 faces) the texture shows up on the inside. i can see through the outside and into the inside. i have no idea what to do.

Hi there, I'm not quite sure, but I think it might just be that your normals are oriented to the inside of your model. You might wna t to try and flip reverse them.

zooneyboy

Re: Texture Prob

Postby zooneyboy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:08 am

Omar_Ramirez wrote:
zooneyboy wrote:When i texture my gun (has 5026 faces) the texture shows up on the inside. i can see through the outside and into the inside. i have no idea what to do.

Hi there, I'm not quite sure, but I think it might just be that your normals are oriented to the inside of your model. You might wna t to try and flip reverse them.

K..... How do I do that??????? I'm kinda a noon at.this. I usually resort to YouTube for help.

egerchy85

Postby egerchy85 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:26 pm

I'm having a similar problem to this, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

zooneyboy

Postby zooneyboy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:21 pm

I hope I can fix this. For all of you others that need help..... Well idk

Omar_Ramirez

Postby Omar_Ramirez » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:37 pm

Ok, let's see...

If you are using Blander 2.5 you just have to enter edit mode (either by selecting it in the menu or by selecting the object in question and pressing TAB on your keyboard.

Then you want to see the normals to see if this, indeed, is the problem, to do that you press "n" while having your cursor in the 3D viewport or by cliking on the + sign at the right of the 3D viewport.

In the sidebar that pops out, scroll all the way down to "Mesh Display" and there, check both "Faces" and "Vertex" for normals display.

If you are in Solid Mode (you see your model's faces and not just the wireframe) and you don't see the normals at all, this is clear indication that they are, indeed, pointing to the inside of the model. Make sure by hitting "z" to view wireframe.

After this, and despite the result, select all in edit mode ("a") go the the "mesh menu>Normals>Recalculate Outside" (You can also achieve this by hitting ctrl+N while in edit mode.

This will recalculate your normals (you should now be able to see them in solid mode).

Let me know it this was it.

(Edit: Not sure, but this might flip you UV map in some way, so you might have to flip your texture as well, do check if that happens)

zooneyboy

Postby zooneyboy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:27 am

YAY THANKS ALLOT!!!!!!! it worked!!!!!!!! that was happening in allot of my models so at least now i know what do do. btw why does that happen??????

Omar_Ramirez

Postby Omar_Ramirez » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:17 am

Well...

I'm guessing you start modeling with one plane, right?

if that's the case, it is simple that when you rotate the plane you make the normal face to the inside of that you eventually model.

The trick here is to remember that when you create a plane the normal is facing upwards. so when you rotate it keep that in mind.

zooneyboy

Postby zooneyboy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:38 am

Omar_Ramirez wrote:Well...

I'm guessing you start modeling with one plane, right?

if that's the case, it is simple that when you rotate the plane you make the normal face to the inside of that you eventually model.

The trick here is to remember that when you create a plane the normal is facing upwards. so when you rotate it keep that in mind.

Oh well now I get it. I started with one plane and modeled the gun in 2d. Then I extruded it twords me

Omar_Ramirez

Postby Omar_Ramirez » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:18 am

There it is, then. It's good to be og help.

zooneyboy

Postby zooneyboy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:51 pm

Wow I never thought I would get replies this fast. Thanks you really helped.

Omar_Ramirez

Postby Omar_Ramirez » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:09 pm

Well, I'm actually new to the forum.

Maybe my helping spirit will die eventually XD let's hope not.

zooneyboy

Postby zooneyboy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:02 pm

Omar_Ramirez wrote:Well, I'm actually new to the forum.

Maybe my helping spirit will die eventually XD let's hope not.

ok one last thing when i export an object (in my case a missle) and import it in another game, the textures are missing. what do i do????? it was very hard to texture so it would suck if i had to start over.

Omar_Ramirez

Postby Omar_Ramirez » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:29 pm

Well, let's see.

I take it you modeled the missile in it's own .blend file and then imported it to another .blend?

I think you can just link, rather than import it. (I've never used this option in blender, but I think it is under the file menu>link)

The other thing I think of, since you say you export it first, is that you make it a .obj or something?

I'm not sure, but regardless of the format you export the model to it should, at least, keep it's uv maps. so it should be no problem to just reload the texture you already made. (for this, do make sure to save your texture as an external image file. this can be achieved from the image editor)

So don't worry, even if the texture doesn't load you should be able to manually load it in your game.

the other thing is, if the texture is a generated texture (a blend, or clouds or wood, etc...) you will most likely need to bake that to the uv map, then save the file externally.

I've not jet used bake, but you can find it under the render tab in the propeties sidebar.

zooneyboy

Postby zooneyboy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:50 am

Omar_Ramirez wrote:Well, let's see.

I take it you modeled the missile in it's own .blend file and then imported it to another .blend?

I think you can just link, rather than import it. (I've never used this option in blender, but I think it is under the file menu>link)

The other thing I think of, since you say you export it first, is that you make it a .obj or something?

I'm not sure, but regardless of the format you export the model to it should, at least, keep it's uv maps. so it should be no problem to just reload the texture you already made. (for this, do make sure to save your texture as an external image file. this can be achieved from the image editor)

So don't worry, even if the texture doesn't load you should be able to manually load it in your game.

the other thing is, if the texture is a generated texture (a blend, or clouds or wood, etc...) you will most likely need to bake that to the uv map, then save the file externally.

I've not jet used bake, but you can find it under the render tab in the propeties sidebar.

thanks man that really helped

Return to “Blender Open Projects”