Weird Blender Error, Unable to Use Blender At All! Help!

Feedback to the Blender Foundation and the moderators of this website

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Anubis4545

Weird Blender Error, Unable to Use Blender At All! Help!

Postby Anubis4545 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:17 pm

I just realized that this was posted on the wrong section of the forum. If any moderator could possibly move this to the correct section, I'd appreciate it. :]
------------------------------
Yesterday I installed Blender for the first time, and spent a good amount of time making a 3D model by following a tutorial video on Youtube.

Well, all of it worked fine, and such. I learned the basic controls fairly easily, and was able to almost finish my 3D model.

So, today I open Blender up again, and low and behold, it apperantly didn't even register any of my saves, so my model is gone, and even worse the program has gone wonky.
Upon starting Blender up, it loads fine, no errors what-so-ever in the black status box. But, strangely, the program itself doesn't seem to start up all the way. Meaning it only finishes loading halfway... First indicator of this, is that the little cartoon-y splash screen doesn't pop up at the beginning. This leads to some strange graphical glitchs with the menus, such as black blocky bits roughly bordering the pull-down menus, and the 3D view screen being "stained" black when closing menus, or the pull-down menus. When this "staining" happens, I am able to see the splash screen frozen in the background for a second, then it disappears again.

I am also unable to use any hotkeys in Edit Mode, and barely navigate, much less do anything in it. :?

This is very strange, and I am unable to find anything referencing to it by Googling. The Blender status box shows no errors, or anything. I have the required Python installed, and the most current Blender. My operating system is Vista, and it is up to date. I've uninstalled/re-installed both Blender and Python almost 10 times now.

Please any help with this would be appreciated, I really have no idea what could be wrong. :(

Thanks. :]
Last edited by Anubis4545 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stiv

Postby stiv » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:20 pm

This leads to some strange graphical glitchs with the menus, such as black blocky bits roughly bordering the pull-down menus, and the 3D view screen being "stained" black when closing menus,

Sounds like the usual problems with poor OpenGL support. Usual answers apply:

update video driver from card manufacturer

turn off Aero

Adjust Blender draw settings in User Prefs

turn down hardware acceleration

Anubis4545

Postby Anubis4545 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:12 am

stiv wrote:
This leads to some strange graphical glitchs with the menus, such as black blocky bits roughly bordering the pull-down menus, and the 3D view screen being "stained" black when closing menus,

Sounds like the usual problems with poor OpenGL support. Usual answers apply:

update video driver from card manufacturer

turn off Aero

Adjust Blender draw settings in User Prefs

turn down hardware acceleration

Thanks! This seems to of fixed it.

Thanks again, I was really anxious to begin Blender again! :D:D:D :]

Return to “Foundation and Websites”