Blender on Mac OS X 10.6.4

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

donpoon

Blender on Mac OS X 10.6.4

Postby donpoon » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:25 am

I have post it on the blenderartist.org/forum and notice this may be a more appropriate forum.

I am trying to run Blender on my Mac Mini Aluminium(NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256MB VRAM). It runs Mac OS X 10.6.4 and Python 2.6.1.

I cannot find a compiled version of Blender that match my system under the download page, I can only find the stable version 2.49b for Mac OS X 10.5 and Python 2.5. When I run that on my system, I get a "Not enough VRAM, need at least 8MB" error. Don't know if it has anything to do with the wrong version of OS X and Python. Meanwhile, I will try to see if there is any updated driver for the video card or even upgrade OpenGL...

Is there a version of Blender that runs on Mac OS X 10.6 and Python 2.6? Do I have to go the hard way to compile the source?

SirDude

Postby SirDude » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:37 pm

The newer version(s) of blender require python 3.x
If you look closely at the download page you'll see that all of them
use it. I haven't checked the MacOS version but it should have python
bundled with it as well so you may not need to install python 3.x.

donpoon

Postby donpoon » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:40 am

SirDude wrote:The newer version(s) of blender require python 3.x
If you look closely at the download page you'll see that all of them
use it. I haven't checked the MacOS version but it should have python
bundled with it as well so you may not need to install python 3.x.

I am planning to use the SIO2 export script of Blender. As far as I know, only 2.49 version of SIO2 export script is known to be working. The 2.5 version may not be ready yet. Do you think the final version of 2.5 Blender will have it ready?

psullie

Postby psullie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:28 am

2.49b will run with 10.6.4 fine, but you'll need to install Python 2.5.4 as this was the version it was compiled against. AFAIK 10.6 only comes with python 2.6.
However you may have issues with your 320m GPU, and as OpenGL and driver updates are provided solely with Apple updates you won't have much luck finding drivers.
The SIO2 exporter only works with 2.49 at present, and until 2.5 gets an official release I doubt we'll see an SIO2 for a while.

Return to “Testing Builds”