Energetics for Architecture

An open space where people who use Blender in an academic environment can share progress and the typical problems and needs of academic environments.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Energetics for Architecture

Postby tmaes » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:51 pm

I'm a cg architect and also Energetic Auditor certified for my region (Belgium, Wallonia), and I develop (a bit).
To audit a building, the auditors have to use a local software (written in Java) that is not graphical (neither open) at all. I don't think it's the good way to take the problem.
I began to learn Python for Blender 2.5 a few weeks ago and although my syntax is still weird, I can +/- do what I want with it (and with time!).

To the subject:
I want to develop an interface in blender, to study Energetic Deperdition in buildings. And make it able to communicate with other thermic applications, if possible. I also want to use Blender tools(like materials) the best way they can be.

What I'm talking about:
- envelopes of warmed (or cooled) buildings: walls, roofs, floors, windows...
- material properties: Lambda(insulation unit), thickness, R ...
- calculate surfaces, volumes
- take care of orientation of faces (N,S,E,W...)

Thus I open this subject, if anyone has an idea, an advice, wants to help, or whatever, I'm totally open. I'll post here the evolutions of the script.

Anyway, thanks for reading, I hope that other energetic actors use Blender and that it will interest them (I found no similar subject in the forums).

NB: I've already coded this kind of plugs for 3dsmax here is an illustration of an "enveloppe", each color represents a wall structure, it could be better with windows that are actually added by hand in the java software. The second image is the thermic result of the model.

Return to “Academic & Research”