Robotics simulator

An open space where people who use Blender in an academic environment can share progress and the typical problems and needs of academic environments.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ajc

Robotics simulator

Postby ajc » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:11 am

Hello,

I am looking into using Blender as a robotics simulator and I have a few questions.

1) Will it be possible to simulate the movements of an object in a fluid?
- It appears that, currently, you can only simulate the movement of fluid.
- Example: Model a fish. Place fish in fluid environment. Move tail of fish and expect the fish model to be propelled in some direction.

2) Can complex objects be created from the python interface?
- Example: Have a pre-build environment (flat plane for example). Construct objects to be placed in this environment from a python script. Place objects in environment. Run a simulation with the object interacting with the environment (with physics engine playing a part).

I've noticed several projects relating to robotic simulation, but it appears that most deal with pre-made blender objects. I am more interested in creating random objects (from python code), throwing them in the environment and evaluating how well they do based on how far they move (or some similar simple evaluation ).

I apologize for asking these questions as they may have been answered with some digging. I've spent all of my free time working through some simple Blender tutorials and just do not have enough time to dig for answers.

Thanks,
AJC

Xalt

Postby Xalt » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:28 am

Hi,

As for your first question, I don't think so. The fluid itself does not produce a force on the objects that interact with the fluid. But "obstacles" DO influence the fluid, so you could (as a workaround) also look at how the fluid is propelled away from a fish object in stead of looking at how the object itself is moved. Think of it as holding the fish and watching the fluid move away as it moves its tail. Also, I'm pretty sure fluids can only be baked at the moment and don't work in the Blender game engine.

As for your second question, yes you will be able to create any object using python. But it will probably take quite some time to create the scripts and of course you will need quite a bit of python and blender knowledge.

Best of luck!

mattimaria

Postby mattimaria » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:25 pm

hay XALt .. very nice reply.. you seems to be an expert ... i have some same questions like that.. will you help me in it :)
i,ll be very thankful to you

Return to “Academic & Research”