3d Plugin not supported anymore!??!!!

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

cwguy

3d Plugin not supported anymore!??!!!

Postby cwguy » Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:07 pm

Over at blender3d.com, on their Gallery, it states that the plugin wont be supported anymore. :cry: Why is that? I mean, I think it was a great idea to create the thing in the first place, because it allowed distribution of an animation without making it video or a standalone app. For one, I hated not having a video work on my computer because of some silly codec and the blender plugin seemed to be a great alternative with its interactivity between computer and user. It was great for my purposes (Windows/Linux uses, didn't have a mac audience). Unfortunately, it seems they want to force any development of the plugin onto the users because it's "unsupported", so could they at least say where the code is placed?

thanks,
cwguy

z3r0_d

Postby z3r0_d » Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:53 pm

it makes sense it isn't supported right now, the game engine is useless (mostly) with out physics

I guess my best answer why it would not be supported in the future is that managine an opensource multiplatform plugin will be quite painful. If you look at the docs that came out at the time of the blender confrence and foundation releases it doesn't look like it was planned to die then, and I doubt it is planned to die.

It just isn't alive right now.
(oh, and it is on the downlad page of this website I believe)

Homer_S

Postby Homer_S » Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:15 pm

If you look at the docs that came out at the time of the blender confrence and foundation releases it doesn't look like it was planned to die then, and I doubt it is planned to die.
I sure hope your right and it is planned to be supported in the future. Even though I understand it may be very difficult to maintain in an opensource environment, I sure hope it doesn't go away. :(

djcapelis

Postby djcapelis » Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:26 am

I disagree... I think an open-source group is uniquely qualified to do this type of work. The OSS community usually knows enough to design it's application to be relitively portable, and with the amount of volunteers, distributing the workload and appointing a person to focus on each browser combo is simple and everyone in working on something they are personally dedicated to.

Return to “Interactive 3d”