Moved: Looking for blends for human skeleton

An open space where people who use Blender in an academic environment can share progress and the typical problems and needs of academic environments.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

physiorol

Moved: Looking for blends for human skeleton

Postby physiorol » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:42 pm

HI There:

I am looking to do some 3D animation of the human skeleton. I have not found any human skeleton or bone models in any of the repositories.

Does anyone know of any out there for download or purchase.

thanks

roland

pep

Postby pep » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:32 pm

You can use this
http://www.box.net/shared/nmj0oi7na6

Actually it is a subset of the
BodyParts3D, Copyright© 2010 The Database Center for Life Science licensed under CC Attribution-Share Alike 2.1 Japan

you can find at http://lifesciencedb.jp/bp3d/?lng=en

I ported to Blender the whole database but it is, in the lower resolution, more than 100 mb.

As the database is a work in progress, i am wondering if it would be more useful a small tutorial on how to import the whole database.

Otherwise i could find a way to post a link to the database as i converted it. No assumption that would be the best port :wink: : some "optimizations" i did may have changed the very accurate original geometry.

You can share with us your planes on 3D animation of the human skeleton and we could also start a collaborative work on the database, in the blender version, to optimize and extend it.

There are already some people interested in it, so lets join efforts...

physiorol

Postby physiorol » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:14 pm

Thanks pep

I will check out those database's.

I may need help importing as i am very new to blender.

I did try and create a mesh tibia from two 2D images and it came out pretty good. I just need it to look remotely like a tibia as it is more for instructional uses to represent the intended boney movement i am trying to achieve with the physical therapy techniques i am teaching.

It is more fun than work at this stage but there are many bones in the body.

A group effort would be great as what it took me to do the tibia would probably take someone with experience about 3 minutes.

Thanks

roland

pep

Postby pep » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:06 pm

physiorol wrote: ...I may need help importing as i am very new to blender.

Did you try this?

http://www.box.net/shared/nmj0oi7na6

it is already in Blender and is the whole skeleton. You don't have to import it, just open it as a normal Blender file.

It comes in low resolution, if that's not enough for you and you need the higher resolution i can import it for you, but be advised that the skeleton only, without teeth is near 2 million faces.

physiorol wrote: ...A group effort would be great as what it took me to do the tibia would probably take someone with experience about 3 minutes.

But you would have lost the fun of learning Blender :D

Tell us a little more on your physical therapy techniques and how Blender can be useful in it. Sometimes what seems a simple idea may suggest unexpected things...
I do believe in Serendipity

physiorol

Postby physiorol » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:04 am

Wow Pep:

That skeleton is awesome. (http://www.box.net/shared/nmj0oi7na6) Exactly what i was looking for. The other site is awesome also.

Are they free to use or is there some kind of licensing?

If no who can i donate too.

By the way i did have lots of fun learning how to make the mesh tibia, but it does not even come close to the two sites you sent me too. I can not imagine how long it took someone to model those skeletons.

Now i will need to learn how to animate the bones to get them to move. Can you tell me more about the resolution I did not really understand if they are good quality or not or if i could get better quality from elsewhere.

thanks again

roland

pep

Postby pep » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:05 pm

physiorol wrote:Are they free to use or is there some kind of licensing?
Yes, they are. And yes, there is a license. It is the Creative Commons CC Attribution-Share Alike 2.1. You can find more info here
http://creativecommons.org/

you have to attribute the model to
BodyParts3D, Copyright© 2010 The Database Center for Life Science, Japan
and the conversion to Blender to
Peppe Cirotti - Universidad de Costa Rica

physiorol wrote:If no who can i donate too.
The Blender Foundation is always an excellent choice :D

physiorol wrote:Can you tell me more about the resolution I did not really understand if they are good quality or not or if i could get better quality from elsewhere.
The quality of the model is very high. Quite difficult to find better one in the free world. The high resolution is better, but is so big that will be hard to animate. If the one you got fit your needs, remember that in the animated 3d world smaller is better...

Post here your results. We enjoy to see Blender in action

physiorol

Postby physiorol » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:27 pm

HI Pep

I had a look at the CC website and perhaps you know the answer to a few questions.

Attribution Share Alike
cc by-sa

This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon your work even for commercial reasons, as long as they credit you and license their new creations under the identical terms. This license is often compared to open source software licenses. All new works based on yours will carry the same license, so any derivatives will also allow commercial use.

From this it looks as though i can use the bones and animate them free of charge (donation to come though). However, the animations need to credit the followoing

BodyParts3D, Copyright© 2010 The Database Center for Life Science, Japan

Peppe Cirotti - Universidad de Costa Rica

would the credit have to be on the screen the whole time or would it come at the end of the video in the credits?

Also would i have to make all of the animations, videos or blends i create with the bones freely available on the internet for anyone else to use.

The reason i ask is that i want to create the animations to include in an instructional DVD that will be placed on the web for my students to be able to practice outside of class with more than just a picture in the course manual. However, I planned on limited access to said videos to physical therapists who have paid for online access or have attended the live course.

If this is beyond your scope i understand but before i use the bones i want to make sure i do not infringe on anyones efforts inadvertently.

thanks

roland

pep

Postby pep » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:06 pm

I am not en expert in legal questions about Creative Commons license and we really would benefit of the knowledge of some license guru, because in academic environment your situation is a common one.

Usually I just use material in creative commons, give credits, and release my work for free - as i already got paid, from a public University, for it.

You see that this license allow you to remix, tweak, and build upon your work even for commercial reasons

so I think that would be ok to use the model, build on it, publish video with a credit somewhere (not the whole time) for the people who contributed, and charge a reasonable amount.

The thing you have to evaluate is that your work will be automatically put in the same license (Creative Commons is a viral license) and that others will have the rights to do the same with your work.

As i said i am not an expert, so any additional clarification on license theme is welcome.

physiorol

Postby physiorol » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:43 pm

cool thanks

I imagine that this issue has bent dealt with before. I might head over to the CC and do a search and see what i can find or even post on the main page of this forum to see if anyone not on the academic page has experience with this issue.

I wonder what would happen in the movie industry. For example if an animator used a bone from that blend that is CC and put it in a movie. For sure they would give credit for using it. But would that mean the entire project was open for someone to build upon.

thanks again for taking the time to respond

maddes

Postby maddes » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:48 am

pep wrote:...

Actually it is a subset of the
BodyParts3D, Copyright© 2010 The Database Center for Life Science licensed under CC Attribution-Share Alike 2.1 Japan

I ported to Blender the whole database but it is, in the lower resolution, more than 100 mb.

As the database is a work in progress, i am wondering if it would be more useful a small tutorial on how to import the whole database.

Otherwise i could find a way to post a link to the database as i converted it. No assumption that would be the best port :wink: : some "optimizations" i did may have changed the very accurate original geometry.
There are already some people interested in it, so lets join efforts...

Yes indeed, here is another one..
Well, now, since the DB is about 100 MB in LoRes, that's not an everyday download, but surely worth it. I'd even give an hires version a chance, if it was available.
How did you structure your data?
As i can see in the outliner of the skeleton, all the individual bones are simply in a flat list of names.
Do you plan some kind of structure?
At least i think you will already have seperated branches for Skeleton, muscular System, etc. Or, even better, have them in different .blend files, that can be linked together as needed, so memory consumtion is not that big problem.
But anyways, a thing as the skeleton may be organized in a hierarchical manner in the outliner for easier access, i think. The same is true for other "layers" of this human DB.
I'm very interested in these Data. When/how do you think to make them available?

pep

Postby pep » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:12 am

I am sorry Maddes. i didn't see your post until now.

Actually the whole database, as i converted it, is divided in layers with different systems in different layers.
as physiorol was interested only in the skeleton, i didn't upload the other parts but i can upload the parts you are interested in.

I would like to add somewhere in the files the creative commons license to be polite with the people of the Database Center for Life Science and...

... i made i little try: without the muscular system, and the skeleton, the whole database is only 22.2 Mib, so i uploaded it and here it is

http://www.box.net/shared/z14r2tofxp

as the skeleton is already available, the only part still missing - due to its size - is the muscular system that is 75,8 Mib (and that in low res :shock: ). The 439 muscles where sculpted in a way that seems optimizable with retopo and normal maps, but we should do that for 439 times!

Maybe joining efforts we can make a beautiful gift to the blender community.

Meanwhile the only thing i could do is to split the muscular system in parts and upload them... or learn how to upload big files in our site in the Universidad de Costa Rica where you can find here

http://accionsocial.ucr.ac.cr/c/documen ... 7702.blend

a sample of the Hi Res part including just the head .

If you have great ideas on how to use the model share them with us; as i said there are other people interested in building on it
Last edited by pep on Wed May 18, 2011 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mickey543

Re: Moved: Looking for blends for human skeleton

Postby mickey543 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:02 pm

physiorol wrote:HI There:

I am looking to do some 3D animation of the human skeleton. I have not found any human skeleton or bone models in any of the repositories.

Does anyone know of any out there for download or purchase.

thanks

roland

Visit it

http://www.creativecrash.com/marketplac ... keleton--2

Never thought that the human skeleton can be presented like that

pep

Re: Moved: Looking for blends for human skeleton

Postby pep » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:39 pm

Visit it

it sells for 119 $

TiZeta

Postby TiZeta » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:42 pm

Hi Peppe, hi everyone!
Using the new Python APIi and a bit of scripting i've imported the database, last updated 2010/08/16.
Every part has the database ID as name, and also has two properties, one showing the organ's system (ex: skeletal) and one showing the name (ex: left kidney...).
Also the organs systems are divided per layer.
You can find the licence with some explanation inside.
it's the whole db with only some simplifications so it's quite big, as Peppe told, more that 100 mb zipped.
Hope it can be useful to someone!
http://www.4shared.com/file/zaYruYmA/BP ... dblen.html
:)

bushaes

Postby bushaes » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:45 pm

Hi TiZeta, these models would be amazing for a project that I just started, thanks for uploading that! Unfortunately I can't open it in blender, I think because the file is too big, and my computer isn't powerful enough. I am actually only interested in the alimentary canal, so stomach, intestines, liver, etc. Do you think that you might be able to upload them in a seperate file? thanks

TiZeta wrote:Hi Peppe, hi everyone!
Using the new Python APIi and a bit of scripting i've imported the database, last updated 2010/08/16.
Every part has the database ID as name, and also has two properties, one showing the organ's system (ex: skeletal) and one showing the name (ex: left kidney...).
Also the organs systems are divided per layer.
You can find the licence with some explanation inside.
it's the whole db with only some simplifications so it's quite big, as Peppe told, more that 100 mb zipped.
Hope it can be useful to someone!
http://www.4shared.com/file/zaYruYmA/BP ... dblen.html

Return to “Academic & Research”