Math reading list for animators and artists

An open space where people who use Blender in an academic environment can share progress and the typical problems and needs of academic environments.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Math reading list for animators and artists

Postby haigioli » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:44 pm

Hi everyone --

I've been a professional animator for over 26 years. I now want to start coding features, but I don't know where to start the learning path. I have a strong working knowledge of math in regards to what I do in character animation, but that's not formal and nowhere near enough to get some of my ideas for tools and features in Blender to come to life.

What books and websites can you recommend for an artist to get started on a strong foundation in math for developing CGI tools? I realize there are areas of speciality, such as rendering, modelling, etc., but I'd like to have general coverage.

I appreciate any help you can give!

Postby CoDEmanX » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:55 pm

have a look here: ... deavengers

for blender python api see:

(mainly the API reference, the cookbook and the code snippets!)
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

Postby stiv » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:15 am

Udacity has an on-line course in 3D graphics coming up:

Postby haigioli » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:05 am

Thanks for the links. They certainly do help. While I know Python, C/C++ quite well, my emphasis is on learning the mathematics required for more adventurous, deeper tool development.

To that affect, Udacity sounds great. There's also MIT's Open Courses, but Udacity's upcoming course seems focused on math for CGI, which is what I'm looking for.

What about books? Any favourites out there in the community?

Thanks again for your input!

Postby ScarletRedProdu » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:33 am

i would really like to make an anime but i have no way of doing it im a good writer but i need an animator please respond if you can help

Return to “Academic & Research”