Serious problems with Blender (publisher, retail version) on

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Qbertino

Serious problems with Blender (publisher, retail version) on

Postby Qbertino » Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:52 pm

I've been using blender since 3 years but haven't had any kind of problems that are compareable with those I have now.

The first thing that struck just a moment ago is that there is no forum whatsoever dealing with blender problems (or did I overlook something??)

Then there is this problem:
I purchased the blenderpublisher license when it was sold just befor the last instace of NaN went belly-up.

On a relatively fresh Linux (debian woody) it terminates with this error:
>>>
blender-publisher-2.25-linux-glibc2.1.2-i386/blenderpublisher: error whi le loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
<<<
The newes OSS version (...newpy....) does something simular:
>>>
blender-2.27-linux-glibc2.3.2-i386-static$ ./blender
./blender: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
<<<
What really disturbs me is the fact that a static version actually shouldn't cause such a problem, because, from what I remember, the term *static* means that all essential libraries are compiled into the programm right from the begining. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

I would appreciate if anybody could tell me where I can get help or maybe even tell me a solution for this problem.
Are their any forums on the internet related to such "basic" problems with blender?
And: Are their *any* versions of blender that run 'out of the box' without causing these troubles? Or is their a version that comes with the required libraries along with it? After all I paid something like 300$ for this...I know NaN has passed away and that's tough luck but still...maybe someone knows help?

Thanks in advance.

Michel
Location: Somewhere below the rivers in Holland (but not Limburg)

Re: Serious problems with Blender (publisher, retail version

Postby Michel » Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:29 pm

Hi,

The problems you mention are with incompatible versions of glibc. You should be able to get glibc2.1.x for your debian system. That would make blender 2.25 run.

The 2.27-NewPy1 release you mention, was a test release for testing the new Python implementation. At the time I build that Linux version, I had only access to my system - which uses the newest glibc and gcc versions. For the final 2.28 release, I will also have access to a system with older versions of glibc (2.2.5) and gcc. :lol:

About the static-ness of Blender. If you have a static version of Blender on Linux, that means the OpenGL library is linked in Blender, nothing more, nothing less. So, if your graphics card is supported on Linux - and you have 3d accelleration working, you should get the non-static version. Of course, the static version will also work, but without 3d accelleration. :roll:

You should get the 2.27 release of blender (same location as where you got the 2.27-NewPy1 release). I have a really good feeling that one will work on your system. :D

With regards,
Michel
You can have one of two things: Progress or Progress Reports.

Qbertino

Problem solved:

Postby Qbertino » Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:28 pm

You weren't quite right about 2.27 working (it didn't ... and I need the gameengine :-) ) but I solved the problem by doing this (as root):
>>>
ln -s /usr/lib/libstdc++-3-libc6.1-2-2.10.0.so /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2
<<<

Basically as a Linux user you have to see if you've got the "libstdc++-libc6..." stuff, and see if it's newer then that what Blender wants. Then you have to make a link to the version you've got and name it exactly the way blender wants to have it.

The point is that Blender really requests the exact "libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2". Couldn't Blender be less picky? I mean, obviously newer versions work aswell.

Maybe this can be some help. Thanks for you'rs!
A Gimp/PS debate is pointless. A Blender/LW debate is interesting.

Return to “Interface & Tools”