Help with Wiimote Interface.

An open space where people who use Blender in an academic environment can share progress and the typical problems and needs of academic environments.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Help with Wiimote Interface.

Postby mario848 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:45 pm

Help with Wiimote Interface. Development of a software application using a virtual 3 Dimensional Learning Environment.

Hi my name is Mario and currently doing my last year project for digital animation @ bucks new university. I want to develop a blender game to educate young children (2-5 years old) to recognize the alphabet, numbers, colours and basic names and shapes.

I would like to use the Wiimote for kids to play the game, but I'm just a beginner in Blender. It's that achievable or it's just for masters in blender?

I have seen on YouTube people using the wiimote with blender but couldn't find how to implement it ( ).

Please can somebody comment on this, should I forget the Wiimote interface and stick to the mouse?

Postby stiv » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:24 pm

See .../intern/ghost for event handing. GHOST is Blender's event/windowing interface.

Postby mario848 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:28 pm

Thank you for your comment.
I don't know Blender that well yet to understand what you are saying, meanwhile I found this tutorial in YouTube "How to install the wii remote to the pc " and tried it with success( ... re=related ).
So I can use the Wiimote (as a mouse sensor in the logic panel) to control the objects in game mode.
But I'm still looking for other solutions even that I don't need the candles (they work as the sensor bar) like seen in the tutorial.

For me was an achievement and I can see great potential for it in many fields, but do you know where I can found more information about how to use it to control Blender games :?:

You can also use Glovepie

Postby michaelpadilla » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:02 pm

Mario, hello(!)
Where are you from?

We are working on educational games too (children between 4 and 7), and also using the wii remote. Actually, we create our own wireless sensor bar to facilitate our implementation.

We are using the application Glovepie as a bridge, you should probe that as well.

But tell us a little bit more about your work or/and research.

Postby mario848 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:48 pm

Hi Michael,
thank you for your interest.
Originally I born in Africa, lived in Portugal 29 years where I have studied Public Advertisement & Marketing. Last 7 years living in the UK and studying Multimedia (Digital Animation). Sorry about late reply (I've been away a few weeks), where are you based?

I'm now back to this project and Yes, I'm using glovepie, running the wimote script: lednerg WiiMotion Plus Mouse.PIE. Please do you know here I can find more stable scripts?
But I don't have a sensor bar yet. all works fine but I don’t know the difference, as I don't have one, is a sensor bar really necessary?
I’m must say physics it’s not my cup of tea, but I cannot wait until I put the game environment and game logic together.
To give you a better idea I post part of my project content (critics and comments are very well welcomed).

The main content of this application is a virtual learning environment. When running the software the user is introduced to the program with a menu splash screen from where he can chose one of the three learning topics. Each learning topic is represented by a button with an illustration figurative of that same topic. There are three topics of learning; these three buttons correspond to three different game rooms. Each room contains a learning topic: numbers, letters, colours and shapes. In the game room dedicated to learn numbers the user need to interact with the 3d models of the existing numbers on the room using the game controller (mouse or Wii remote), moving the cursor and click to drag and drop numbers in a predefined order. The second game room is dedicated to learn letters the user need to interact with the 3d models of the existing letters on the room using the game controller ( mouse or Wii remote), moving the cursor and click to drag and drop letters in a predefined order. The shapes and colours game room uses the same way of interaction. This game room has the format of a Shape Sorter Toy. The user need to manipulate (move and rotate) the objects using the game controller controls until sort the objects until place them in the right position. This kind of activity helps the kids learn the difference between different shapes as the name of the shapes as well, such as round, oval and square. Objects and holes of the shape sorter are in different colours; consequently help the kids learn the colours and their names too. Shape sorter toys teach the kids the concept of cause and effect, i.e., putting a piece in its right hole will have the effect of making it fit.

Thank you.

Return to “Academic & Research”