Blender for Android Animation project

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

pages

Blender for Android Animation project

Postby pages » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:35 pm

Hi all ,
I am a computer science student about to start on my final year project .

For this i have chosen to create an application for users to learn Karate Katas. The idea is that the user will select the Kata to learn and then a 3D animation of the moves will appear on screen , Then the user can navigate around the environment to look at the Kata from different angles while its happening and also to slow down ,pause and speed up the Kata itself

When doing the research for whats needed in this project i am a bit out of my depth. When searching the internet for how to do this i found a video of blender
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6sASEhb ... re=channel
But what im interested in is it possible to create motion between the poses (possibly just loads of different poses that run together seamlessly? ) and if its possible to port this to and Android application.

Now im just wondering since i really can't figure it out for myself would all i require to complete this is Blender ??( possibly a rendering software like Poser or MakeHuman ??)
cause it just seems as if thats too little to complete the project ?

Thanks for any Responses,
Pages

SirDude

Postby SirDude » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:34 pm

Hi Pages,

I've been thinking of doing a similar thing for Shaolin Kung Fu.
I think you might be bitting off a little too much to start with though.

It's not too difficult to use a free rig like man candy to do a form.
I would start there. This in itself is a lot of work.

After you have it setup you could use blender to explore the form and getting
that working shouldn't be very difficult.

You could also export animations that you could play on an android device.

Currently, there isn't a version of blender for android so you would need to
port blenders game engine or write your own interactive program if you wanted a user to be able to interact with the form. You may be able to
find a third party application that could do this as well. I don't know of one
off the top of my head though.

pages

Postby pages » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:32 pm

Hi , sorry i don't know how I missed this reply and thank you for taking the time to reply to this thread.

[quote]You could also export animations that you could play on an android device. [/quote[

I never found a way to do this
What i did so far was create the mesh and armature , got them interacting with each other and modelled my own props and attached them to the mesh so they move in unison together.

But the part of the project which is really killing me and i find it incredibly hard to find information on this is
How on earth do i port the animation to android ??

Genuinely can not find a real shred of help in the form of tutorials or anything on this. From what i have found is i could use Ogre3D to port it but the download link I find for blender is
http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/Blender+Exporter
The help page does help to some extent but i'm still confused about whether i can export the current .blend file directly

Just annoying at this stage as i feel the hard part of this project should have been getting the correct animation not porting them to play :(

If you have any advice it is much appreciated
Thanks,
Pages

stiv

Postby stiv » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:09 am

How on earth do i port the animation to android ??

Give us a hint! Are we talking video file formats that Android can play or data files that the Android operating system can natively import?

pages

Postby pages » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:22 pm

Well my first idea would be to use blender and Ogre3D for that editor to export to a format that Bones can import.(Bones is a animation API for jPCT. It supports skeletal and pose animations.)
Bones can import Collada and OgreXML animations.

My hope is to be able to export the animations and integrate them into jPCT-AE so the user would be able to navigate around the environment while the animation is running

But even as i write this i see this is going further and further away from blender so i probably should be looking into the other forums :)

shnnnhickman

Re: Blender for Android Animation project

Postby shnnnhickman » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:24 pm

Have you look into flash for the interactive portion?
http://www.ffiles.com/flash/animations/ ... _2023.html

Sha

Postby Sha » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:29 am

pages wrote:Hi all ,
I am a computer science student about to start on my final year project .

For this i have chosen to create an application for users to learn Karate Katas. The idea is that the user will select the Kata to learn and then a 3D animation of the moves will appear on screen , Then the user can navigate around the environment to look at the Kata from different angles while its happening and also to slow down ,pause and speed up the Kata itself

When doing the research for whats needed in this project i am a bit out of my depth. When searching the internet for how to do this i found a video of blender
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6sASEhb ... re=channel
But what im interested in is it possible to create motion between the poses (possibly just loads of different poses that run together seamlessly? ) and if its possible to port this to and Android application.

Now im just wondering since i really can't figure it out for myself would all i require to complete this is Blender ??( possibly a rendering software like Poser or MakeHuman ??)
cause it just seems as if thats too little to complete the project ?

Thanks for any Responses,
Pages

Hi there,
Have you found what are you looking for? Because currently im also looking for animation that can be used for Android

ldo

Postby ldo » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:30 pm

shnnnhickman wrote:Have you look into flash for the interactive portion?

Flash doesn’t do 3D. All that example is doing is switching between different prerendered movies.

kscoombs

Postby kscoombs » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:32 pm

I'm currently involved in a project that runs on unity 3D game engine. I'm using blender to make content. Whilst looking into what unity can do I saw that it has a dedicated tool for use in android. Search unity for android on Google. Hope this helps, this is my first post so would be great if it helped someone.

Karl

marcorama

Postby marcorama » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:31 pm

You could try makehuman to create a character,import it to blender( follow the instructions of makehuman to get the import addons to work properly ).
Then try to find .bvh files ( motioncapture ) on the kata-karate.Apply that to the makehuman character.
Sounds easy?
Please be sure to find the right tutorials on the subject and still you be hours,if not days before you get the hang of it.
Ok,here's a link to a good tutorial on the subject www.jaanga.com/2012/04/how-to-make-anim ... mocap.html
On this page you'll find a link to part4 of the tutorial.
To see what kind of result it yields www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZpnMlr1PKk[/i]
there´s never just one way to do things

Return to “Documentation & Education”