trouble with 2.28's new shaders...

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Dani

trouble with 2.28's new shaders...

Postby Dani » Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:27 pm

Hello! I was wondering...

Am I the only one who finds that the 2.28 shsaders don't work very well? They don't work as they do in tuhopuu... very limited ranges of values, not all lamps supported... getting a really correct shading is therefor really difficult.

Tuhopuu gives a lot of freedom to experiment and create, and moving from tuh to 2.28 is quite disturbing, I feel like... "in cage"... herm...

It's a shame because this 2.28 version is REALLY woth it, lot's of improvements to make modelling easier, lot's of new features everywhere.

Does anybody else feel that BF-blender should support the same shader type (structure) than tuhopuu?

Dani

cessen

Postby cessen » Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:50 am

I agree with you Dani! But I'm not so sure that my opinion counts, seeing as it is difficult not to be biased about such things. However, I will state my thoughts anyway. People can take them or leave them as they please. :-)

First of all, I like that in 2.28 the specular and diffuse shaders have been split (yay! more flexibility!). I was thinking of doing that in tuhopuu anyway, but I never got around to it.

Secondly, I like the fact that the oren-nayar shader defaults to lambert with hemi-lights (I tried to do some wierd, fake, ad-hoc, wizardry&witchcraft kind of thing in tuhopuu, and it doesn't work very well in a lot of situations).

However, other than that, I think that everything should be put back to how it was in tuhopuu. I think that the Toon parameter ranges should be returned to the larger ranges in tuhopuu, and I think that the Blinn parameters should be returned to operating as they did in tuhopuu (along with giving them their original ranges). I also think that the shaders should works with sun and hemi light sources, as they do in tuhopuu (with the afore-mentioned exception of the Oren-Nayar shader).

Also, it would be nice if textures could effect the shader parameters as in tuhopuu... but I know that's merely an unintentional ommision on Ton's part.

modron

Postby modron » Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:34 pm

I very much liked the new shading after having taken a moment to aclimate. also alot of other things about 2.8. the one thing that throws me is that the glowy vertices, though useful, can create the illusion of being slightly offset from their actual position. I would suggest an option to toggle them on or off. No biggie! As far as the shading though, I think once you get used to it, you will find it to your liking. Thumbs up on the enhanced audio support too! (sorry, off topic <cringe>)

ilac

Postby ilac » Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:25 pm

modron wrote: the one thing that throws me is that the glowy vertices, though useful, can create the illusion of being slightly offset from their actual position. I would suggest an option to toggle them on or off.

Just turn off 'show edges' in the editbuttons menu. As of 2.28 it's switched on by default (so is show faces)

modron

thanks!

Postby modron » Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:17 am

"Just turn off 'show edges' in the editbuttons menu. As of 2.28 it's switched on by default (so is show faces)" thank you. will do! :)

Goofster

Postby Goofster » Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:53 pm

it's only switched on by default if you havn't got a default b.blend file....I think...

Roel

Return to “Rendering”