Load documentation into a new cvs module?

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Poll ended at Sat Oct 26, 2002 5:12 am

Of course, I want to add something
30%
Please, I might be able to help
50%
Doesn't matter
No votes
No, only complete documents should be available
20%

Total votes: 10

voidptr

Postby voidptr » Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:12 am

Should this be done to allow mass editing of the documents? My thinking is that HTML/SGML are just sources & keeping them under control would be a good thing.

Thoughts?

voidptr

xitnalta

Re: Load documentation into a new cvs module?

Postby xitnalta » Mon Oct 21, 2002 7:35 pm

voidptr wrote:Thoughts?

Good idea! The only thing I have a problem with - I'm not very familiar with CVS (i.e. I hardly used it for anything beyond a checkout, and know some of the theory behind it). I will have to catch up somewhat on that issue. :roll:
Felix

estqwerty

what is cvs?

Postby estqwerty » Mon Oct 21, 2002 9:26 pm

explain in 2 words pls.

xitnalta

Re: what is cvs?

Postby xitnalta » Tue Oct 22, 2002 1:31 am

estqwerty wrote:explain in 2 words pls.

Well, that's difficult :P . But I'll try it: Click here. :D
Felix

calli

Postby calli » Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:34 am

I think its a good thing.

I started that efford one time at NaN, but because I was the only Documentation Monkey I dropped it.

There are also some problems (as I understand) with binary files (Images, *.blends etc). Of course such files are not ascii but still can be versioned somehow (on the price taht they will always transfered in complete).

Carsten.

pato

Postby pato » Tue Oct 22, 2002 3:55 pm

calli wrote:I think its a good thing.

I started that efford one time at NaN, but because I was the only Documentation Monkey I dropped it.

There are also some problems (as I understand) with binary files (Images, *.blends etc). Of course such files are not ascii but still can be versioned somehow (on the price taht they will always transfered in complete).

Carsten.

*nods* You can setup wrappers on the CVS server to tell CVS that any file with .*** extension (.jpg for example) are binary files. So when someone checks in a jpg and another person checks it out there aren't any problems.

I would also vote an emphatic yes on putting docs into its own module. After a while you're going to get quite a few screenshots, illustrations etc and the amount of data in the docs section will grow to be fairly large. It would be discourteous to others (esp to those on dial-up) to force them to download a large amount of things they don't care about/aren't working on .

-Jason <Pato>

calli

Postby calli » Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:04 pm

Implementation is left to the developers ;-)

/me hides his lack of knowledge

pato

Re: Load documentation into a new cvs module?

Postby pato » Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:09 pm

xitnalta wrote:
voidptr wrote:Thoughts?

Good idea! The only thing I have a problem with - I'm not very familiar with CVS (i.e. I hardly used it for anything beyond a checkout, and know some of the theory behind it). I will have to catch up somewhat on that issue. :roll:

If you're able to do a checkout with cvs you've already done the hardest part (setting it up). Most people will probably only need five commands.

cvs login [username]
cvs -z3 checkout [module name]
cvs -z3 update
cvs -z3 commit [filename {can include wildcards *.* etc}]
cvs logout

That's pretty much it. At another project I'm working on we have some pretty good docs on how to setup (in both *nix & Windows) as well as how to use CVS:
http://www.worldforge.org/project/faq/cvs/

If anyone thinks it would be helpful I could write up a small guide on how to setup and use CVS for everyday common tasks. Would this be useful? See ya around!

-Jason <Pato>

voidptr

Postby voidptr » Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:28 pm

Okay, so then how do I (or for that fact anyone else interested) go about getting cvs access? Even if it's not to the whole tree, say it's only the doc module for now.

What progress is being made towards a central development area? Maillist? Write cvs access? Ton made a whole news article about this, that something was being done. Why no news since?

I really don't want to be putting anything detailed together until I know my work is not going to be dropped because there is no method to submit it.

voidptr

calli

Postby calli » Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:19 am

Patience please! We are just at the beginning here and everyone is working hard.

I am also very excited, what will happen.

Carsten.

jeotero

Postby jeotero » Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:10 am

I THINK THAT WOULD BE A NO

I can use CVS but you are goin to restrict a lot of people out there, and the documentation is too important to do that.

jeotero

Postby jeotero » Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:10 am

PHP style documentation anyone, that manual is the best i have seen in a long time

xitnalta

Postby xitnalta » Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:04 am

jeotero wrote:I THINK THAT WOULD BE A NO

I can use CVS but you are goin to restrict a lot of people out there, and the documentation is too important to do that.

Everybody's talking about "CVS access". To be blunt, there's no "just access" at all - you have either read-only access (everybody has this one!) or read-write access (wisely restricted to some trusted developers - who may consider other good workers to get that as well).

If you want chaos, go to http://sourceforge.net/, duplicate the blender.org CVS repository (you can do that because you have read access and because of the licenses (mostly GNU GPL, but still be a bit careful)), and then open write access to everybody (if you can do that on SourceForge.net). It's not being done here, because the goal is to get subsequent releases of Blender finished in an organized fashion.
Felix

Return to “Documentation & Education”