Texture normal distance has changes between builds

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ppeetteerr

Texture normal distance has changes between builds

Postby ppeetteerr » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:59 pm

I have the official blender beta release, and several other releases running on opensuse 11.4 If I use the official blender beta release and open my file with a cloud texture set at 1.00 I get a different roughness than if I open it in one of the trunk releases. Has this really changed?

Jandals

Postby Jandals » Thu May 26, 2011 4:03 am

I haven't opened a single project in different versions of Blender but I have encountered discrepancies in the intensity of texture values I use compared to other artists (who are using a slightly older release). For example, I am recreating a material based on someone else's description. The original artist uses a Cloud texture with Influence > Geometry > Normal set to 0.25. To get the same look I need to divide by about 12 and set my Normal Influence to about .02.

Blender 2.57b 64-bit
Mac OS 10.6.7

For anyone else who runs into this, the difference is caused by changing the Influence > Bump Mapping > Method property. Leaving it at "Default" generally gives me a more exaggerated result, meaning I have to reduce the effect of the bump map. Choosing "Compatible" makes my results conform to the examples I was following.

Return to “Testing Builds”