Cannot assign vertices to material [Resolved]

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

allegrovivo

Cannot assign vertices to material [Resolved]

Postby allegrovivo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:54 pm

Hello! I'm very, very new to Blender so excuse the simplicity of this question. I want to assign certain vertices to different materials. I know that I'm supposed to select all the vertices I'm interested then click "Assign" under the materials tab. But for some reason, after I do that and click "Deselect" then "Select", my entire object is selected rather than the vertices I selected earlier.

I went through the same process to create Vertex Groups and it worked perfectly. What am I doing wrong?
Last edited by allegrovivo on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

RoboticGolem

Re: Cannot assign vertices to material

Postby RoboticGolem » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:28 am

allegrovivo wrote:Hello! I'm very, very new to Blender so excuse the simplicity of this question. I want to assign certain vertices to different materials. I know that I'm supposed to select all the vertices I'm interested then click "Assign" under the materials tab. But for some reason, after I do that and click "Deselect" then "Select", my entire object is selected rather than the vertices I selected earlier.

I went through the same process to create Vertex Groups and it worked perfectly. What am I doing wrong?

I've found using the face select when doing this is much easier. You make your material slots, and then just select the faces, then the material slot, then click assign.

(in 2.5x anyway)

allegrovivo

Re: Cannot assign vertices to material

Postby allegrovivo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:12 am

RoboticGolem wrote:I've found using the face select when doing this is much easier. You make your material slots, and then just select the faces, then the material slot, then click assign.

(in 2.5x anyway)

I tried that but it didn't work. :( I have version 2.57. I have a feeling that I might have inadvertently changed a setting somewhere, but I'm not sure.

RoboticGolem

Postby RoboticGolem » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:40 am

Well. Start with a default scene, go to face select mode, right click on one or two faces, look at the material window, click the + to add another slot, click the new materal (Material.001) and then change the color.

Ill poke around to see if I can find a tutorial or a set of screen shots that might help.

allegrovivo

Postby allegrovivo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:09 am

RoboticGolem wrote:Well. Start with a default scene, go to face select mode, right click on one or two faces, look at the material window, click the + to add another slot, click the new materal (Material.001) and then change the color.

Ill poke around to see if I can find a tutorial or a set of screen shots that might help.

Adding another slot did the trick! Thanks so much for your help!!

RoboticGolem

Postby RoboticGolem » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:53 pm

No problem at all.

Return to “Interface & Tools”