Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon Fireflies

Excalibur

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:02 pm
Is it just me or is everybody going mental that whenever they return to the cycles renderer on blender after about 6 months orso, the renderer just doesn't seem to have improved a bit? Why are resources being poured into the product (admittedly a VERRRRRY good product, one for which I'd even gladly want to donate quite a bit, no kidding!) while the renderer included with it stays... well, junk. Each and every render I do is riddled with fireflies. No other modeling tool I have ever worked with (from povray (ok, bad example) to 3dsmax to maya to softimage, hell even bryce 3D) suffers from this. What gives and why isn't it being taken head on, full on, with everything the devs have got in them? Is there a lack of coordination on that part? Is there a lack of motivation? Is it a problem that is unsolvable on the current model/inner workings of the renderer? I am sooooooooooo curious about it. Forums are riddled with this topic, yet on the development side the silence is deafening. Please help me understand, or help me help you get it fix. Need resources? What?

mcleary

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:33 pm
Excalibur wrote:
Is it just me or is everybody going mental that whenever they return to the cycles renderer on blender after about 6 months orso, the renderer just doesn't seem to have improved a bit? Why are resources being poured into the product (admittedly a VERRRRRY good product, one for which I'd even gladly want to donate quite a bit, no kidding!) while the renderer included with it stays... well, junk. Each and every render I do is riddled with fireflies. No other modeling tool I have ever worked with (from povray (ok, bad example) to 3dsmax to maya to softimage, hell even bryce 3D) suffers from this. What gives and why isn't it being taken head on, full on, with everything the devs have got in them? Is there a lack of coordination on that part? Is there a lack of motivation? Is it a problem that is unsolvable on the current model/inner workings of the renderer? I am sooooooooooo curious about it. Forums are riddled with this topic, yet on the development side the silence is deafening. Please help me understand, or help me help you get it fix. Need resources? What?

I think Blender internal renderer stays because cycles does not fully support all blender features, strand particles for instance.

The fireflies bug was already solved in the svn version, but it is not published yet, so you need to build blender by yourself. http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=498&aid=32008&group_id=9

If you wanna a quick solution look at http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?237353-Cycles-huge-white-dots-problem-scene-included

mcleary

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:41 pm
If you look at the history of cycles (svn logs for instance) the major improvements were that ones that people do not see.

Performance improvements, bug fixes, code refactoring, code structure etc.

When it comes to open source, lack of motivation is something that is hard to find. Some developers do not get payed for their work and write code because they want to.

Last thing, I get some firefles when doing a render and a simple google search was enough for me to find the solution.

Jump to: