Multiple Camera Simultaneous View in Separate Viewports

An open space where people who use Blender in an academic environment can share progress and the typical problems and needs of academic environments.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

rraqueno

Multiple Camera Simultaneous View in Separate Viewports

Postby rraqueno » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:04 pm

We are investigating if it is possible to preview an animation (wireframe is fine) from 5 or more cameras viewing different parts of a scene. We want to verify the flight path of the aircraft with Blender and use an external engine to render the Blender geometry.

We are simulating a multiple camera airborne system that will cover overlapping areas of a given scene.

Please view the following link for additional details.

Multiple Camera System

Thank you.

Rolando

------------

Rolando Raqueño, Ph.D.
Research Scientist
Digital Imaging and Remote Sensing Laboratory
Chester F. Carlson Center for Imaging Science
Rochester Institute of Technology

Gechever

multiple viewports in Blender

Postby Gechever » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:52 pm

Hello Rolando,

I just saw your post asking about multiple viewports in Blender.
I did not understand very well if you want to use this inside the Game Engine, but if this is the case, there is a tutorial about implementing just what you need:
http://www.tutorialsforblender3d.com/Ga ... ort_2.html

The explanation is given for the older version of Blender 2.49, but there is a file which should work for 2.6.

I know you can use this method to display more than one camera on the screen. If you need, I can send you other example files.

Hope this helps
Gilberto Echeverria
Research Engineer
LAAS/CNRS

rraqueno

Postby rraqueno » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:13 pm

Hello Gilberto,

Thanks for the reply. The game engine is one aspect of Blender that I have very little experience with, but your link will gives me the excuse to learn it and also move up to 2.6.

I would appreciate any other information you may have particularly for any 2.5+ workarounds.

I really appreciate your help and will post any results the come out of your assistance so that others may benefit as I hopefully will.

All for now,

Rolando

Gechever

Postby Gechever » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:16 pm

Hi Rolando,

After reading again the info in the link you sent, I think I understand better what you want to do. If you are just interested in playing an animation of the movement of the cameras, you may not need the Game Engine.

Blender 2.49 does have more limitations in what you can see in the different 3D views. There is a small lock icon in the menu of the 3D views, and if you toggle it off, you can set each of them to a different camera view. However, I did some testing, and when you start an animation (ALT-A), it is only played in one of the 3D views. The others remain static.

Fortunately, the latest versions of Blender will do exactly what you want, out-of-the-box. Try out Blender 2.6, and you can simply set different cameras in each 3D window, and when you play an animation all views are updated.

If you want to add more interactivity, then you will need to use the Game Engine, and probably use some Python code.

Cheers
Gilberto Echeverria

Research Engineer

LAAS/CNRS

Return to “Academic & Research”