Why is Blender manual & documentation out of date?

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Why is Blender manual & documentation out of date?

Postby monkeyD » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:58 am

I am a new user of Blender and I must say it is really frustrating when you come to the website looking for help and instead you find a bunch tutorials made in the old UI, nothing is where it supposed to be, buttons are gone, names changed, basically most of the documentation is totally useless :(

Postby stiv » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:37 am

I blame the lazy-ass user community. After working night and day for weeks at a time, in the snow, uphill both ways, the developers are too exhausted to write documentation. Besides, they are terrible at it, so the job falls to whoever wants to do the work. (just like the development work. eh?)

Actually, there are quite a few people working on docs and tutorials. There is an organized team working on the Blender wiki 2.5x docs.

One thing that will help you is that 2.49 and 2.5x are very different animals. If you are trying to follow a tutorial, use *that* version of Blender.

Postby johngflower » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:00 am

I'm a lazy user :). I'd describe myself as a low level user, and started learning with 2.4. I started using 2.5 in August. It took me about half an hour to come up to speed. I agree with Stiv's suggestion of using Blender 2.4 with tutorials designed for that interface. There is a wealth of documentation and tutorials for 2.4.

Given time 2.5 documentation will catch up. Think of 2.5 as being for early adopters. Once you are more familiar with 2.4 you will find switching to 2.5 like driving a new car, eg from car to car you will use a wheel to steer the car and the accelerator will be in the same place. but the controls for the airconditioning maybe in a different place. In Blender the mouse buttons work in the same way, as do the GRS keyboard shortcuts, between 2.4 and 2.5. However the menu that comes up on pressing spacebar is slightly different.

I find the new interface looks nicer, and makes it quicker to do my work. From time to time I do models for clients. We sit down in front of the screen and I alter their model in real time. The new interface looks expensive, and high quality. I believe this leads to my clients having greater respect for my work.

Postby ldo » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:26 pm

johngflower wrote:The new interface looks expensive, and high quality. I believe this leads to my clients having greater respect for my work.

It’s all those sober dark greys, isn’t it? Looks like getting rid of the coloured controls from the 2.4x UI has really paid off. :)

Return to “Documentation & Education”