Help me out? Earth gets destroyed by metoer research!

An open space where people who use Blender in an academic environment can share progress and the typical problems and needs of academic environments.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

spiceuvlife

Help me out? Earth gets destroyed by metoer research!

Postby spiceuvlife » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:56 pm

So, a couple months ago I got back into blender and naturally went to blenderguru for some cool ideas. One of the tutorials was creating a realistic earth, so I did it, and wanted to use that earth to recreate one of his 'inspiration' videos, an animation with earth getting destroyed by a meteor. Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zvCUmeoHpw and here's a snapshot of my earth... Image
I hope that turned out alright... And so anyway, onto my project experience SO FAR, I decided to start with simulating the part of the video in which there's a giant blast of smoke and debris after the meteor makes impact, it's in sort of a cone shape, and comes off slowly then actually starts falling back to earth. I'm thinking how to do it, so I make a sphere of the same size as my earth in a new file and start messing with particles. I get that cone shape with some particles and start with creating that same look that they had, first with line particles, not enough. Then naturally smoke. I couldn't get that certain 'look' they had, the smoke was gray, and I didn't have enough control over the color to get it right. Still I used that and the line particles just because. Then I added a quick weird meteor and got this: [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy0MHSMdkyk[/video]

I don't know what happened to the meteor ball but i don't care that much, you get the idea and why I don't like it much at all.
So this is basically where I'm at, if anyone has a helpful piece of advice on how to get the debris to fall back, or how to make it look better in general, please do tell me!

Return to “Academic & Research”