From BodyParts3D - imported and decimated blend file

An open space where people who use Blender in an academic environment can share progress and the typical problems and needs of academic environments.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

TiZeta

From BodyParts3D - imported and decimated blend file

Postby TiZeta » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:18 pm

Hi! I've made a new version of the BodyParts3D import in Blender, it's now decimated and has a reasonable 'weight' of 39 MB.
There are many other optimizations possible, but it's far more usable than the 100 MB version!
License and informations, together with some script that I used, are inside the file.
I'll post any other update here, the file is on this link:
http://www.4shared.com/get/QconRIAF/BP3 ... ified.html

Hope it will be useful to someone!
:)

jfrancoisc

Postby jfrancoisc » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:39 pm

I'll try it now... I've been dreaming about having this bodyparts3D base on my computer, with the names so that I can visualise it fast. Thank you if you did that.
Jeff

johngflower

Wowee!

Postby johngflower » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:10 am

That's a dinkum model. And the licensing on it is quite permissive.

Is the brain model accurate. I notice that it made up of several sections. In my ignorance I wonder if this is as it should be?

The reason I ask is that I'm interested in engraving body parts into crystal. In this medium the model is opaque and it is possible to see through the mebrane around the brain into the deeper parts of it, and it'd be nice to know that there won't be any "seams" which don't exist in nature.

I'm now downloading the source meshes, a high quality one of 521mb and a lower one of 127mb. Hoping that my computer won't grind to a halt on the larger one! From http://dbarchive.biosciencedbc.jp/en/bo ... nload.html

TiZeta will I get much benefit going to the source meshes? I'm aware you've probably spent many hours investigating this subject.

johngflower

Postby johngflower » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:26 am

Attached is what I mean about the sectioning of the brain.

TiZeta

Postby TiZeta » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:11 am

Hi jfrancoisc!
Thanks for trying it :)
The parts are actually named, but the name is set up in a custom property instead of the object name. This is to avoid the name length limitation and provide the full name for each part. I hope this is ok!

Hi johngflower!
The models are sectioned in subparts and should be as accurate as possible
Actually I mainly explored the muscular system but even in that case there are various pieces.
In detail, for each muscle, there are different versions: for example, there are several instances of the abdominal muscle in the database: one is entire, without seams, one is sectioned in the single muscle composing it (in this case, left and right subparts and the linea alba).
So, for each organ, you probably have both the "entire" one and the subparts of it. In the blend file there are only the subparted ones, but if you need the entire, unseamed organ, you find can find the name and the code-number in the file "compound_parts.txt".
Thanks for using it!

TiZeta

Postby TiZeta » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:19 am

The compound_parts.txt is in original databases, the larger one is more detaliled and the smaller one is slightly lighter, but they shoud contain the same pieces for what I have seen.

johngflower

Postby johngflower » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:46 pm

This model from 3d Body Parts is truly amazing. My boss paid $30USD for a heart that is of lower quality than the one in this model. The 3dBP model has all valves, all the little blood vessels supplying the heart.

I found navigating through your version of the model a little tricky. Whilst the names of each part are in the Custom Properties, I am only able to see the names when I select each object. It'd be more useful, to me, to switch them for the database name.

The more I look at the model the more I appreciate the work that has gone into making it usable. Again thanks to TiZeta and Pep for preparing models from the source data and making it accessible to the Blender community.

johngflower

Postby johngflower » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:48 pm

I do understand that the object name has a limited length.

TiZeta

Postby TiZeta » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:43 pm

johngflower wrote:I do understand that the object name has a limited length.

I think that a workaround could be a shortened version of the name as the object name, while leaving the full length name as a property.
The original database name (that could be useful, for example, to retrieve the high poly obj if needed) could also be set as property.
Ok, on the todo list :)

johngflower

Postby johngflower » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:35 am

TiZeta wrote:The original database name (that could be useful, for example, to retrieve the high poly obj if needed) could also be set as property.
Ok, on the todo list :)

I've still only had a short look into the model. I think I will use your model to identify parts to retrieve from the hi poly model. I'm impressed with the hi poly model detail, it almost doesn't need smoothing. It is slow though. Your model is faster because of it's small size. But I am just one person, with a rare use case.

I did have a good look at the heart, amazing detail on the valves!

Return to “Academic & Research”