Feature request postings?

Feedback to the Blender Foundation and the moderators of this website

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Feature request postings?

Postby bigpilot » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:00 pm

Is there an official listing or forum where users can suggest feature requests? I've entered two in the 'Interface and Tools' forum but I'm unsure if these will be picked up by the developers.

Postby stiv » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:41 pm

There is not an official feature request tracker. The fundamental problem with feature requests is getting someone to do the work. Having ideas is the easy part.

So how does something get added to Blender? A feature request is just an idea. The next step is a proposal or design for how the feature should work. After that comes the actual coding and testing.

Most Open Source developers are working on a feature because they need it or to scratch some personal itch in an area of interest. Blender itself is an example.

Postby bigpilot » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:45 pm

I've looked at the Blender codebase before and found it too complex to add a feature myself. At the very least the Blender Foundation should either provide technical documentaton describing how the application hangs together or mentoring as with GSoC projects.

Postby bigpilot » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:48 pm

Also I find it incredulous that users are all adding their own features. The core developers are adding features on user feedback, arent' they? I believe Blender should have an official forum for feature requests and the developers can pick and choose themselves to see if they can implement these. Maybe we should also let people vote on feature requests, although I'd rather use common sense, since voting systems can be manipulated.

Postby SirDude » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:05 pm

Hi Bigpilot,

The problem is there are only a handful of developers and there are more feature requests than they can handle. In general the dev's have a pretty good handle on they way they want blender to progress. Since they are doing this out of the kindness of their own hearts,
you can't really tell them what they should be working on. Thats just asking them to

Now having said that, if you really think you have a nifty idea that the developers haven't though about. The best way to improve your chances are as stiv said.
Make a detailed proposal, mockups, etc....
Then there is still no absolute that someone will pick it up. If you really need it at that
point your on your way to becoming a developer.

Eariler you asked for technical documentation explaining how blender hangs together and or for mentoring. I've written a fair share of the documentation on becoming a blender developer, and I've also mentored a number of students in the GSOC.

I'm always open to answering questions. If your serious about getting into developing
check out the developers docs that are online and if you have questions feel free to

You can also email me if you want to do it off list.

Were always looking for more people to move blender forward.

Return to “Foundation and Websites”