Blender Linux

An open space where people who use Blender in an academic environment can share progress and the typical problems and needs of academic environments.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Blender Wolvz

Blender Linux

Postby Blender Wolvz » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:49 pm

I'm trying to setup a render farm using the operating system of linux. I don't want to use any of the overly bloated systems like ubuntu. I really just want linux with blender and can be easily installed onto a large variety of computers. But I'm not very knowledgable in linux programming and what not. Does anyone know of a pre-made package or able to share one they made or will make?
Continue Blendering

Tehrasha

Postby Tehrasha » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:08 pm

Please keep us informed of the progress with your system. I am looking to do something similar in the very near future.

As for the flavor of linux, there is the Ubuntu Server version. Simple, fast, and small installation which does not contain any of the GUI bloat and fluff. I use it for my fileservers and firewall/gateway.

Blender Wolvz

Blender Linux

Postby Blender Wolvz » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:09 am

I'll definitely keep you all informed on what I come up with, I'll post a link to the operating system download when I find one. I'll also check out the linux you've suggested.
Continue Blendering

stiv

Postby stiv » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:56 am

Most linux distros allow you to choose what you are going to install. It is a little more work, but you can choose each package by hand.

There are also so tiny distros like Puppy Linux or DSL (Damned Small Linux). The issue with using one of these is likely to be up-to-date versions of libraries Blender needs, such as ffmpeg. You may end up compiling those yourself.

Blender Wolvz

Blender Linux

Postby Blender Wolvz » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:03 am

If you have the website that let you hand pick, that would be great.

Also I've tried puppy linux, but the problem was that it wouldn't run Blender or wouldn't install it properly, it was one of the two problems. Or it may have been that it didn't have the correct drivers. But the computers that I'm trying to put the system on don't have internet compatibility. So that also proves a very big problem. Any websites or suggestions would be great!!
Continue Blendering

Tehrasha

Re: Blender Linux

Postby Tehrasha » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:12 am

Blender Wolvz wrote:If you have the website that let you hand pick, that would be great.

I believe stiv was referring to the actual installers for the different linux flavors. Most of them have an advanced setting that lets you pick and choose which packages to install rather than the default 'everything'.

While this is one way to reduce the installation footprint, I would not recommend it unless you are very familiar with linux and sure about which packages you need and dont need.

Return to “Academic & Research”