Here have the tools gone in 2.6

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

safran62

Here have the tools gone in 2.6

Postby safran62 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:09 pm

Hi, I have asked this in the interface section alreaday - maybe this was the wrong place. It seems nobody knows something about this.

How can I change the distance / angle of the Spin tool in 2.6
The (still incomplete) documentation says "in the tools bar" that's not the truth.
There is no control to set this up there. There is something in the User Preferences. Have I to set this up as a preference?

How can I use Spin Dup instead of Spin?

Where have the boolean operation controls gone to in 2.6?

Where are the controls for arrays in 2.6?

An answer to every single point would be very helpful.

Thanks
Frank

roberts

Postby roberts » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:15 am

Yeah...I'm trying to use the 2.4 tuts for the 2.6 interface and it's not working.

The interface as presented in the tutorial doesn't match what I'm seeing on my copy and commands the tutorial tells me to select aren't anywhere to be seen. The manual in the help menu is also pointing to a 2.4 document.

I just got blender, but I may have to drop it because it's apparent the documentation is falling into neglect.

knightwalkr

tutorials

Postby knightwalkr » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:41 am

If you have iTunes do a search for blender and go to the jason welch tutorials he does tutorials in 2.5 but the interface hasnt changed that much. good tutorial series.

roberts

Re: tutorials

Postby roberts » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:46 am

knightwalkr wrote:If you have iTunes do a search for blender and go to the jason welch tutorials he does tutorials in 2.5 but the interface hasnt changed that much. good tutorial series.

I do in fact have iTunes and I'm getting the tutorials now. Thank you for the finger telling me where I can go.:)

MajorTomPilot

Postby MajorTomPilot » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:45 am

Just following Jason Welsh ( spelling ) first tutorials, I am about to rip out my hair. Jason does a very bad thing by forcing you to use the Maya layout and hotkeys.

Once again, if you attempt to follow Jason's tutorials, please remember an extrude, spin, scale is the same wether using the blender or maya interface. But remember it's not going to match what most will default to in blender.

I really question the wisdom of changing the interface. A lot of folk are already confused by the change from 2.4 to 2.5/2.6 interface.

Tehrasha

Postby Tehrasha » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:40 am

I have had good luck following these tutorials since the 2.5x releases...

http://gryllus.net/Blender/3D.html

ldo

Postby ldo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:18 am

You know, I get fed up of seeming the same old complaints from people who got used to the quirks and idiosyncrasies of the 2.4x Blender, and don’t like how things were rearranged in 2.5x/2.6x.

Get used to it: the old interface was a mess. The “buttons window” was called that because it was full of an ever-growing collection of ill-sorted buttons. Is that any way to design an interface?

The new, cleaned up design is the product of a careful rethink that was implemented starting from nearly 4 years ago. You can read the blueprint that was published then, here:

http://download.blender.org/documentation/bc2008/evolution_of_blenders_ui.pdf

By all means express an opinion about the new interface. But not till you have read and understood the rationale behind it.

Serapth

Postby Serapth » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:30 am

People aren't complaining about the changes to the interface from 2.4 to 2.6; this isn't some kind of "get off my lawn" rant from people unwilling to change.

People are "complaining", if you can call it that, about the lack of 2.5/2.6 documentation on how the hell to use various parts of the program, an extremely valid complaint and perhaps the biggest failing of Blender currently. Almost without fail, I encounter 2.4 documentation ( even on Blender.org ) when looking up a particular feature or command and in most cases, there isn't an updated document for 2.6. This is even when I narrow my search results to the past year on Google.

So simply put, people aren't crapping on the new interface, but instead of lack of (timely) documentation. Even then, I see very little actual complaining going on in this thread, more genuine requests for information.

ldo wrote:You know, I get fed up of seeming the same old complaints from people who got used to the quirks and idiosyncrasies of the 2.4x Blender, and don’t like how things were rearranged in 2.5x/2.6x.

Get used to it: the old interface was a mess. The “buttons window” was called that because it was full of an ever-growing collection of ill-sorted buttons. Is that any way to design an interface?

The new, cleaned up design is the product of a careful rethink that was implemented starting from nearly 4 years ago. You can read the blueprint that was published then, here:

http://download.blender.org/documentation/bc2008/evolution_of_blenders_ui.pdf

By all means express an opinion about the new interface. But not till you have read and understood the rationale behind it.

Return to “Documentation & Education”