problem with rotation

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

sarefo

problem with rotation

Postby sarefo » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:12 am

hi, first i have to say that i'm quite a rookie regarding blender, so if this not the right place to ask beginners questions, it would be great if you could hint me to a more appropriate place.

i'm trying to rotate a propeller. this is no problem if i align the object at the z-axis, and create a rotZ ipo curve. however, if i tilt the propeller, the rotation is of course no more around the propellers axis. so, is there a way to define rotation relatively to the object, instead of in absolute world coordinates? if not, how can i solve this problem? if it's complex, no need to digest all necessary steps here, i'm willing to read lots of tutorials (i searched the tutorial space already, but found nothing about this problem), if somebody could just tell me which ones i should look at.

many thanks

s.

SirDude

Postby SirDude » Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:48 pm

These boards are for developers dealing with the code
not how to use the program.

You'll get a lot better responce over at:
http://www.elysiun.com/

What you could do is move the object to the origin animate
it then make it a child of another object and use that
object to place it where you want it.

sarefo

Postby sarefo » Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:16 pm

i used a blank as parent object, and now it works! whee!! thank you so much! you have no idea what i went through with this :)

You'll get a lot better responce over at:
http://www.elysiun.com/

thanks, i'll post further questions there.

bluwe

Re: problem with rotation

Postby bluwe » Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:31 pm

I've found following solution for rotation around a local axis:
If the local axis is defined by two points, create a armature with one bone plus a second null-bone. Place the bone along the rotation axis (to use the snap menu, you need the second bone to access the top of the first bone).
Parent your rotation-object to the bone.
Now with the bone selected in pose-edit mode, hit RYY (= rotation around local y-axis) and rotate.
That's it.
Hope in a later version blender can handle this task easier.
(I've yet no solution for scaling along a local axis).

sarefo wrote:hi, first i have to say that i'm quite a rookie regarding blender, so if this not the right place to ask beginners questions, it would be great if you could hint me to a more appropriate place.

i'm trying to rotate a propeller. this is no problem if i align the object at the z-axis, and create a rotZ ipo curve. however, if i tilt the propeller, the rotation is of course no more around the propellers axis. so, is there a way to define rotation relatively to the object, instead of in absolute world coordinates? if not, how can i solve this problem? if it's complex, no need to digest all necessary steps here, i'm willing to read lots of tutorials (i searched the tutorial space already, but found nothing about this problem), if somebody could just tell me which ones i should look at.

many thanks

s.

Return to “Animation”